69 Camaro Starter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Garage
69 Camaro Starter

I'm installing a AAW Classic Update harness and the instruction show to put a fused wire from the fuse block to the starter then on to the alternator. I'm not used to doing it this way. Is there any advantage other than the fuse links being there? How are some of yours set up?

http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFL...20IN%205.0.pdf

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 69 Camaro Starter

Ray, I asked the same question when I installed mine, and Don Bock at AAW explained to me why they chose to lay it out that way. There was a technical reason that made it better, and I am sure I wrote it in my project notes, but it has been too many years. You could always call the AAW toll free and use the dial by name function to call Bock.

I wrapped the wire from the starter to the alternator in harness wrap, and included it with the wire bundle coming down the firewall to the starter; when the wire got to the bottom of the heater box cover, I ran it underneath the box using the same kind of clips used on top of the heater box cover to hold the orange heater fan wire. It runs under the heater box cover, out and over the top of the inner fender (in the hidden part; that length of wire I wrapped in the more modern convoluted tubing to protect it against abrasion against the fender bolts or rough edges, etc). I brought it in by the battery, where the wire from the front light harness comes in for the voltmeter or idiot light, and ran those two over to the alternator together, again wrapped in OE type harness wrap.

I can check and see if I took any photos, if my description is unclear. Donny told me to just run the wire to the alt alongside the oil pan rail in the clips with the battery cable, and then up the block to the alt. But I decided to do it the way I did because I am generally trying to keep the underhood stock looking, and I thought it would be weird to have a wire up to the back of the alt, where it is not normally, and I didn't think it would be as protected as I have it now. Yes it is a well insulated wire and supposedly is rated to handle that much heat and more, but I did not want it that close to the block, especially because it is a 12V constant hot. I wanted it protected...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Garage
Re: 69 Camaro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
Ray, I asked the same question when I installed mine, and Don Bock at AAW explained to me why they chose to lay it out that way. There was a technical reason that made it better, and I am sure I wrote it in my project notes, but it has been too many years. You could always call the AAW toll free and use the dial by name function to call Bock.

I wrapped the wire from the starter to the alternator in harness wrap, and included it with the wire bundle coming down the firewall to the starter; when the wire got to the bottom of the heater box cover, I ran it underneath the box using the same kind of clips used on top of the heater box cover to hold the orange heater fan wire. It runs under the heater box cover, out and over the top of the inner fender (in the hidden part; that length of wire I wrapped in the more modern convoluted tubing to protect it against abrasion against the fender bolts or rough edges, etc). I brought it in by the battery, where the wire from the front light harness comes in for the voltmeter or idiot light, and ran those two over to the alternator together, again wrapped in OE type harness wrap.

I can check and see if I took any photos, if my description is unclear. Donny told me to just run the wire to the alt alongside the oil pan rail in the clips with the battery cable, and then up the block to the alt. But I decided to do it the way I did because I am generally trying to keep the underhood stock looking, and I thought it would be weird to have a wire up to the back of the alt, where it is not normally, and I didn't think it would be as protected as I have it now. Yes it is a well insulated wire and supposedly is rated to handle that much heat and more, but I did not want it that close to the block, especially because it is a 12V constant hot. I wanted it protected...

Did you still run the main battery cable to the large terminal on the starter? I'm running a gear drive starter and the terminal isn't as long as factory starters so that is where my problem started. If I bypass the starter and go from the fuse block to the alt. I wonder what it would hurt? If you've got a pic it would be great. Thnaks for your help.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode