Low Fuel Warning Relay Mounting - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 11, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mark

Low Fuel Warning Relay Mounting

I own a '68 RS/SS with the console mounted gauges and have a question as to the correct mounting of the low fuel warning relay. The existing one that's hooked up now is zip tied onto a small L shaped bracket that's mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs. It also has a light bulb socket built into it? This makes me feel that it's not the correct relay for a '68, since the '68's warning light is in the dash gauge housing. This relay might be for a '67 since the console gauges were not used in that year. Anyway, I'm replacing it with a new one because it's burned out and would like to find out if it's really supposed to mounted on a bracket or if it's just supposed to be wired to the fuel gauge studs and hang in the back of the assembly? I wonder if by having it mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs, it could cause problems like shorts? I have numerous booklets that show the console gauge assembly and all the wiring but they don't show the low fuel warning relay on them. Any info that I could get on the correct mounting of this relay would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark

Mark
'68 RS/SS Camaro, 350 c.i./400 hp, Thumper Cam, Hurst shifter, Muncie M-21, Pypes 2 1/2" H-pipe w/Vilator Mufflers, 18" Rushforth Battery Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 11, 01:25 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Low Fuel Warning Relay Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark68 View Post
I own a '68 RS/SS with the console mounted gauges and have a question as to the correct mounting of the low fuel warning relay. The existing one that's hooked up now is zip tied onto a small L shaped bracket that's mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs. It also has a light bulb socket built into it? This makes me feel that it's not the correct relay for a '68, since the '68's warning light is in the dash gauge housing. This relay might be for a '67 since the console gauges were not used in that year. Anyway, I'm replacing it with a new one because it's burned out and would like to find out if it's really supposed to mounted on a bracket or if it's just supposed to be wired to the fuel gauge studs and hang in the back of the assembly? I wonder if by having it mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs, it could cause problems like shorts? I have numerous booklets that show the console gauge assembly and all the wiring but they don't show the low fuel warning relay on them. Any info that I could get on the correct mounting of this relay would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark
You have the correct one. The socket is not used in the Camaro console other then to secure the unit in the back of the cluster. Just pop it in the hole and your done. Stick a bulb in it and the readings will be way off.

See the attached pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 479.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	25054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 480.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	25055  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 11, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mark

Thanks a lot Brian. That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew that someone on here would have the answer!!

Mark
'68 RS/SS Camaro, 350 c.i./400 hp, Thumper Cam, Hurst shifter, Muncie M-21, Pypes 2 1/2" H-pipe w/Vilator Mufflers, 18" Rushforth Battery Wheels

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 11, 06:12 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

No problem Just wish I could get the photos both to stay in a clockwise rotation. LOL
Glad you got what you needed out of them.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode