Voltage regulator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 11, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Richard

Voltage regulator

Hi guys its been a while sinse I posted on here, life in general and kids have kept me to busy, now the ?, `69 RS/SS voltage regulater I beleive the contacts have stuck in it, my son took it out the other day and when he came back the gen light was on, so my assumption is the contacts are stuck. Now in my entire life I`ve never had to mess with a voltage reg....so do I just replace it, or clean contacts on this one...? need some help...Thanks Rick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 05:18 AM
Guess

Re: Voltage regulater

Did you do a forum search on "voltage regulator' or "VR"?

VR715 from any parts store. It's Solid State so it'll last virtually forever. You can even pop the cover off your original and attach it to the new one to make it 'look' original.
I don't see the point in keeping the original and trying to make it work or last longer. It's a weak failure point no matter how you look at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

And when you go to get the VR, take along the alternator for check out.
The 'R' terminal of the alt supplies a voltage back to the VR, #2 terminal, to close the field relay internally of the VR thus turning off the GEN light, providing the IGN position of the ign switch is supplying battery voltage to the other side of the GEN light.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 05:50 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Never a bad idea to double check the charging system as a whole, including Alternator, and VR.

Most times an adjustment may have been needed to be made when the Mechanical VR was first installed, not forty years after. But you can remove the cover and then use a thin emery cloth or thin "nail board" if your wife has one around the house to clean off the contacts if they are not pitted too much. Everett posted a "VR Tuning" post last year for original style Delco units. Be-careful cause it was easy to over clock the adjustments.

But I think you will find the current regulator is shot and needs replacement. If that is the case you should use a Solid State Voltage Regulator unit. The age of the mechanical regulator is long gone and the upgrade to solid state greatly improves the charging systems of the old gals we drive. The new unit bolts up just like original, uses the same harness and you can put the old metal GM VR cover on the new unit to disguise the fact it is new technology.

The single most popular direct replacement unit is manufactured by Airtex under a host of brand names. Wells is the most known, but it is also sold under the Airtex, and AutoZone Duralast brand names. For a standard 350/V8 69 Chevy the Wells part number is VR715, same for the Duralast AutoZone branding of the same part, and the Wells/Artex number is 1v1038. They are all the exact unit, just different branding on the cardboard box, no markings on the unit itself. SO buy by price point not box color.

For 12 bucks at rockauto.com, cheaper using our Team Camaro sponsor discount:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=942025

For 30 bucks same part at your local AutoZone:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=130005

Or other local parts and on-line sources. Good Thanksgiving weekend project, should take five minutes or less to swap. Just follow the directions and make sure it is bolted tight to the radiator support before connecting the harness and powering it up.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Nov 24th, 11 at 07:02 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 11, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Richard

Thanks guys, have a Great Turkey Day....!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 11, 10:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Voltage regulator

Thought my original quit about five years ago so I pulled it and installed a new mechanical VR. Key word: "mechanical". Last year, didn't like the voltage, messed with the springs. Blew it to pieces because I didn't unplug the harness and my screw driver slipped. What to do? Install the old one and hope for good karma. Yep, still works and is re-installed. Karma is cool.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 11, 05:23 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to ask is it possible to exchange the internals of the solid state unit to our old 515 unit? This way you would still have the date code on the base?? Also, how are you guys swapping covers??

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 11, 06:55 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah DT you can. There is a decent how to thread over at CRG on doing it, template to drill holes to hold the circuit board. I just slapped the cover on mine, and a buddy hot glued same style springs to the bottom of his for a show, no one noticed. Pry off the plastic cover, clean off the sealer used to hold it on, trill two pilot holes on the tabs already there for screws, and use two self taping screws, mount your original cover and done.

Here are the threads over at CRG: look at Jeff68's for the best solution IMHO if you want the base of the old one. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.p...sg3540#msg3540

- a newer thread involving cutting and soldering the old base:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=3028.0

The original photos seem to be missing so here are the the ones the author Jeff68 sent me a while back. His conversion removed the springs on the underside, the newer thread is retaining them. The old thread used bolts and nuts to connect the board, the new thread is using solder to connect the new board to the old plate. If you go that route don't cook the board. The heavy metal of the old regulators will retain more heat then the new thin stamp of the new. Pictures below are start to finish. Goal was to retain date stamps and original cover while taking advantage of the new guts. As you can see that was accomplished. But the half way covenant is to just mount the original cover and stamp your plate with your date on the tabs. Or go all the way and attempt to solder the new guts onto and retain and use the spring assembly on the underside - JUST don't forget to make the two cuts or you will destroy the board on power-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0232.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	25614   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0234a.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	25615   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0235.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	25616  

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0236.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	25617  

Last edited by 69-Pace; Nov 26th, 11 at 07:23 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 11, 07:10 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Thanks Brian, I found this old thread as well. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0;all

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 11, 07:25 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Thanks Brian, I found this old thread as well. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0;all
Let me know which method you go with and post some pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode