AM Radio problem volume - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jp

AM Radio problem volume

I have a stock 68 camaro AM radio, everything works but i have to turn up the volume all the way to barely hear something, Any ideas? Is this a transistor problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: AM Radio problem volume

Maybe an exhaust system problem?

Seriously - speaker connections good and is the speaker in good shape?

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Could be. Try another speaker. OE speakers are 10 ohm, aftermarket are 4 or 8 ohm, meaning afmkt will require less volume control for the same sound level.

Replace transistors as a pair.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jp

It is a nos delco 10 ohm speaker, I also did try putting two 4 ohm speakers in to total 8 oms and same thing???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 07:26 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Good suggestions. One question, when you are adjusting the volume is there a scratchy-static noise? If so the volume control needs rebuilding/cleaning or replacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you replaced the speaker(s) and got the same results, then the problem is internal to the radio.
It could be the power transistor(s) or it could be the driver circuit preceding the power circuit.
If you pull the cover off and see the power transistor(s) bolted & inserted into a socket, you will see they are mounted to an alum extrusion called a heat sink, you can remove them and go to an TV repair, are there any more? or electronics supply shop, and get a substitute part number and swap them, if a pair, and go from there.
If there are wires soldered to the two leads, use a 25 watt solder iron and resin solder and remove, after tagging or writing down the color to each lead, and replace the transistor(s). Your call. Or visit an electronics friend for him to do it or submit the radio to a repair shop with the speaker being used and have it professionally repaired.
But like I said, if there is a pair of power transistors, replace the pair, not just one.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

These delco radios ain't that great on the am band.. the fm one is sure a lot better.

Wouldn't hurt to have a tech look it over, to see if there's any stuff to be looked at.

I had an electronic antenna enhancer put in my archaic system, and it seemed to pull in the signals a bit better. The closest radio station is about 60 miles as the crow flies, eh?

Guess you could go hog wild, and replace the orig guts with new, but that's prob cost you $400+ to do this...but, it would still look orig.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 11, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
jp

Thanks to all for the help!
I am going to try to look into changing the transistors. Could just buy one that works but what fun is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode