GEN light on - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 11, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

GEN light on

I started my 69 Camaro the other day and the GEN light stayed on. When I turned the lights on the gauge indicated discharge (I left the light hooked up when I put gauges in it, so yes it has both). I figured the alternator was going bad. The next day I started it and the light did not come on. I drove it the following day with no problem. Today I went out and it turned over four or five times before there was not enough juice. I put a charger on it and got it started the GEN light flickered and the gauge showed a discharge when I turned the lights on. After the car warmed up and the idle smoothed out the GEN light went off and when I turned the lights on there was no discharge on the gauge. I took the alternator off and had it tested and it showed to be working fine. Any ideas? Voltage regulator maybe? The battery is fairly new,as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 11, 04:01 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: GEN light on

Make sure all your terminals are clean (pos & neg). Have you checked it out using a multi-meter ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 11, 06:36 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes as stated above, clean and tighten all cables and check your junction block by the battery and the loop to the Horn Relay and the VR.

Could be the VR starting to fail. Is it mechanical or solid state? Do you have a tool-box spare to swap in? Could be that the VR is not always triggering the Alternator to activate the field to charge the battery. Solid State Wells/Airtex VR's are usually about 12 bucks on-line and the best electrical upgrade you can make. And at half the price of the mechanical you can afford to have a testing spare on-hand.

Next in-line if not the VR it could also be one cell dying in the battery. How old is it? Can you swap it into your daily driver and see if it fails after four or five starts there too? Most modern batteries vent off so much solution when used with long term tenders and deep cycle quick charges that they won't last the 5 year expectation when purchased. So if you use these regularly I would be suspect of the battery's general health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 11, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Thanks for the help. I cleaned the terminals and I do have another VR I can put on.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 11, 08:20 AM
Tech Team
Kelley

It is the battery. O,Reilys has them 2 year free replacement. Unless you drive it a lot thats all you will get. Got me a new one last week, 15 months old.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 11, 08:23 AM
Retired
Jim

Use the Wells VR715 solid state unit, not another old points style VR. The original cover will even fit over it.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode