starter problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 11, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

starter problems

i have a 1969 big block camaro. i have a ford solenoid between the battery and starter. just recently when starting my car the starter would seem to stick and not disengage when starting. it only disengaged when you reved the engine a .little. and it dosnt happen all the time. i changed the solenoid. it got better but did it again. i had the car sitting for about four months. maybe the shaft the gear on starter built up some rust. any ideas or suggestions.

jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 01:42 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: starter problems

Starter loose or out of alignment and the starter is binding?

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 04:41 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Is the starter brace missing? It maintains alignment and often discarded by those thinking it's uneccessary.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 07:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Is the starter brace missing? It maintains alignment and often discarded by those thinking it's uneccessary.
X2...make sure you use the starter brace which is available from a number of sources. Good luck.

1966 L72 2 door post Biscayne bench seat M21 4.10, 16K miles
1968 Z28 RS cowl plenum M21 3.73, fresh 302MO stored 450hp 355/Tremec TKO
1970 SS350 Nova daily driver bench seat M21 replaced with a Tremec TKO
1949 Meteor Pro Street 468/4L80E
1955 Chevy Gasser BBC M22 410's
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 09:23 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

If its 4 speed, use a 3689 starter, with the support brace as mentioned.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the response. I never had a problem with the starter before. And it never had a brace on it. I read a few posts that said the ford solenoid creates a magnetic field. I had never heard that before. I went to start my camaro and it did it once and then fired up normally the next five times.
I was thinking of putting the starter wiring back to stock. Does anyone know the wiring for hookup for the starter?

Jerry
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 11, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The brace is important on a stock starter, as are the correct knurled starter bolts.

Stock wiring: Purple wire to the "S" terminal on solenoid - that's the one closest to the engine block. Yellow wire to "R" terminal on starter (the other one!), and the other end of the yellow wire to the + terminal on the coil. The yellow wire can be eliminated if you have electronic ignition.

I have heard of an external solenoid causing problems with Permanent Magnet starters hanging up, depending on how they are wired. http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/faq-starter.html You didn't say which type starter you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 03:26 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
I read a few posts that said the ford solenoid creates a magnetic field.
All solenoids will create a magnetic field. All they are is an electro-magnet that pulls the bendix in to engage the starter gear with the flywheel and to complete the electrical circuit from the battery to the starter windings. I don't think the Furd solenoid is causing your problem unless it is sticking. Next time it sticks, put a voltmeter to the start terminal of the solenoid and see if it still reads 12VDC. Maybe something in the key switch is messed up (or something is shorted to it) and it's staying engaged because it is being told so.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 05:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

If you have a permanent magnent type starter try wiring the solenoid as shown on the attached sketch. This worked for me.

As mentioned a permanent magnent starter can produce power for a few seconds after start up and lead to an annoying delay in the solenoid release.
you will note this is not the same wiring diagram you'll get with an aftermarket solenoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tuff stuff wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	26029  

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros

Last edited by Tom P; Dec 27th, 11 at 06:54 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
The brace is important on a stock starter, as are the correct knurled starter bolts.
Yep
And that effects alignment...general sympotom is intermitant not disengange..also mentioned above
Then another is lubing the benex assemble...ALWAYS reassemble dry

Using the ford soleniod, so here I assume its because that good old so called heat sink issue....which is too much intial (not idle ) advance, drawing way to much 1st intial and running current, over heating and burning the solenoid copper dsc contacts AND semi melting the armiture solder jointsa causing dry joints that open when warm.
The reason manufactures all around the world had low intial advance.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

But I think what he is saying is that he never had a brace and the starter worked fine. When did Chevy start including the brace on the starter. I don't think my 69 had one when I took delivery in April 1969.

alan
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
But I think what he is saying is that he never had a brace and the starter worked fine. When did Chevy start including the brace on the starter. I don't think my 69 had one when I took delivery in April 1969.

alan
Just because it worked fine without it does not mean it's absence did not cause the present problem. I've been saving these discarded braces for years by those who thought they were useless. Brace data here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4562.0
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 11, 08:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
i have a ford solenoid
Well there's your problem.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

My 69 has its orginal brace..and other stuff like that incuding to wire rope cable for the engine mounts...and as far as I know all blocks had them , I cant rem a block that doesnt have the brace tapped bolt hole

Yes many now dont have them and work fine....then put a new starter in and often have issues...Just as with the wire rope engine mount bit, all the grounding wires and many other bits...they are not needed 100% of the time on 100% of the cars....but are ther fore those cars that may have problems not to have them and GM picks up the PR for reliabity...Hell I cant rem the last time I used my E brake, but Im not going to throw it way, I may need it one day.....check mixtures in gear maybe.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode