67 back up lights help. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

67 back up lights help.

Can anyone tell me which wire from the column feeds the back up lights.
I've got a 67 ss with 2 spd column shift so the switch is on the column I think.
If I can check the wire at the column then I'll know if the switch is bad coz I have no back up lights. Otherwise it could be a ground issue
Thanks.

What's a mid life crisis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 67 back up lights help.

Pink is power to the switch, light green to the bulbs.
Switch could be out of adjustment also, or, shifter could be out of adjustment with the trans detented position.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Much appreciated
I'll go check it now and post what I find.

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Ok, I don't see a pink wire unless I'm color blind (which is possible).
I have 9 wires leading up the steering column.

Is there a thread that explains which wire is for what? I looked but couldn't find one.
Is it possible that the back up light switch is on the transmission?
It's a 2 spd Power Glide but not sure if it's date correct for my car.
Thanks.
From left to right in case the pics no good.
1 grey
2 black
3 light blue
space--
4 blue
5 brown
6 purple
7 yellow
8 green
9 white

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

The pink and green wires aren't on the 9 pin steering column connector. They hang from a clip closer to the firewall.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103734

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Thanks, found the green and pink wire

So, I think I have wiring issue. With the ignition on, when I select reverse the Gen light comes on, when I take it out of reverse the lights on dash return to normal (oil/brake light) but when I disconnect the pink/green wire this dosent
happen. So Im going to change the switch on the column. This one

May also have an ignition switch problem because when I jiggle the key in the on position the lights go back and forth from oil/park to gen.

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

So I changed the switch and still no back up lights.
and with ignition on when put in reverse the gen light comes on.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 05:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothead View Post
So I changed the switch and still no back up lights.
and with ignition on when put in reverse the gen light comes on.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers
Not sure why the gen light is coming on, but it sounds like you may have some loose wiring or ground issues if jiggling wires/ignition effects it.

Did you check the reverse wiring with a multi meter? I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, but if I recall, the pink wire should have constant power in the ACC position. The green wire gets power when you shift into reverse. Check to see that you are getting power at the switch.

If you are getting those readings at the switch, plug in the harness, and then check to see if you are getting power at the harness at the reverse lights. If no power there, then wires may be bad. If you are getting power at the rear harness, then the ground may be bad or the reverse lights themselves may be bad.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Unplug the reverse light connector and using DMM, measure the green wire to ground.
You should read the bulb(s) resistance referenced to ground.
If you have resistance, unplug one bulb to see if you are reading both bulbs in parallel or a single bulb. Resistance should be measured with both bulbs singularly.
If no resistance is read, then either a broke wire or bad ground on bulb sockets.
Switch also has neutral safety function as well. Switch does need adjustment when installed.
You will get GEN light with ign sw in ACC and IGN, no engine running.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Thanks guys,
I dont have a meter, but using a test light I'm getting a completed circuit from the pink and green wire. ie: placing one end of the test light on the green wire and the other on the pink the test light lights up! This cant be right coz I shouldnt be able to get earth from either of these wires should I?
Something's earthing where it shouldn't be. I'll check the bulb holders and see if there earthed properly. Other than that something may have been connected to one of these wires under the dash that's not right because the previous owner has done some real ugly wiring under there

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll see how I go and post the outcome.
Has anyone else had same problem?

Cheers

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Armed only with a test light, remove the bulbs and check again.
No light, no complete circuit - good.
If you have a light with bulbs removed, then a ground exists in the green wire circuit.
If no light, install one bulb, jumper a battery source to the green wire, or jumper pink to green and turn ign sw to IGN, should have test light lit.
No light, remove bulb and check center contact of socket for power with test light.
If there is power, then install bulb and check socket to ground.
If test light lights, then open ground circuit of socket to body.

'
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Thanks for that. I'll try it and post results.

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 04:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Just a thought did you check connections under carpet on front passenger side
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 05:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothead View Post
Thanks guys,
I dont have a meter, but using a test light I'm getting a completed circuit from the pink and green wire. ie: placing one end of the test light on the green wire and the other on the pink the test light lights up! This cant be right coz I shouldnt be able to get earth from either of these wires should I?
Something's earthing where it shouldn't be. I'll check the bulb holders and see if there earthed properly. Other than that something may have been connected to one of these wires under the dash that's not right because the previous owner has done some real ugly wiring under there

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll see how I go and post the outcome.
Has anyone else had same problem?

Cheers
No, definitely shouldn't get a ground from either of those wires. The pink wire is your power source. Shifting into reverse completes the circuit and passes power onto the green wire. Green wire feeds to reverse lights. Reverse lights ground in the trunk.

If you're getting a completed circuit with the test light, you've got ground issues.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

I'll check out those possibilities as well. Also should the car start in neutral as well as park because atm it only starts in park and I just fitted a new switch on the column.

cheers

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode