Why do I keep blowing my rear light fuse? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Why do I keep blowing my rear light fuse?

Every time I hit my brake it blows the fuse. I just recently replaced my turn signal switch and put in a wood steering wheel and horn kit from classic. What could be causing this? Is this a ground issue? I checked the fuse and it is a 20 amp, which is what it should be for the lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 11, 10:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Why do I keep blowing my rear light fuse?

Brent, could be the wrong bulbs in the tails, or bad connections in the tails, or bad switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

This didn't seem to start until I hooked my horn assembly up. Is there a ground in my horn assembly that I missed? Are you suppose to ground your horn? Also, I replaced my rear lamp harness a few months back and just used the same bulbs I had in it and never had a problem with anything before so i don't think it is my bulbs. Could there be any correlation to my horn assembly? Yesterday evening I went out to mess with it and noticed that my front lights didn't work, but when I went to pop out my fuse for the rear lights they came on. Also, my rear turn signals worked yesteday when I was driving it, but nothing else in the back came on (back-up light, brake light).

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 08:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I beleive your problem is in the steering columm. Brake light circuit goes from brake light switch thru the turn signal switch then out to the rear. The path thru the T/S switch alllows one side to indacte turning while the other side indicates stop. I doubt that it's directly related to the horn as the horn is on a seperate fuse form stop turn and tail.

Jeff
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Al

A fuse that blows as soon as power is applied indicates a short circuit. As said - it could be shorting in the bulb socket(s) or in the brake light switch. I would trace the hot wire from your brake lights forward to the dash and see if you can find where that wire is shorted to ground.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

When I installed my rear light assembly I used american autowire. It was the stock replacement harness. I noticed that it did not have the ground wire that my existing harness had at the passenger side rear light. I asked in another thread why this was and was told that the harness was "self grounding" and that there should not have been a seperate wire on the harness. Maybe the previous owner added that for a reason. Ill look into it this weekend and see if I can trace the issue. Thanks.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Well, apparantly when I was screwing my sill plate in I hit my harness. Took the screws out and everything works. I do have a question though. When I engage reverse the back up lights only turn on when I go from drive to reverse. If I go from park to reverse they do not turn on. Also, the switch on the floor for my front lights, does that just turn them on and off or is that gor hi beam? When I hit the button on the floor it just turns them on and off. Just making sure that everything is working as it is supposed to. Making sure there aren't any lasting affects from the issue I was having before
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 02:30 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd67 View Post
Well, apparantly when I was screwing my sill plate in I hit my harness. Took the screws out and everything works. I do have a question though. When I engage reverse the back up lights only turn on when I go from drive to reverse. If I go from park to reverse they do not turn on. Also, the switch on the floor for my front lights, does that just turn them on and off or is that gor hi beam? When I hit the button on the floor it just turns them on and off. Just making sure that everything is working as it is supposed to. Making sure there aren't any lasting affects from the issue I was having before
High beam switch is bad. Check neutral safety switch for (R) lights

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 02:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

x 2 on the Hige beam switch. It should go from low to high with the floor switch.

Eric.B
Denver, CO
1967 Camaro

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 02:50 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Brent - congratulations another landmine avoided.
Glad it was that easy. Wrap the puncture wound on the harness very well and tight with quality electrical tape. I think all years had a metal channel cover that protected the harness from puncture. But you can use a bit of tape to hold the harness away from the screw holes.

Yes the switch on the floor just toggles the high/low beam once the headlights are manually switched on. It will NOT flash the headlights like a modern column stick will. So unless you mean when the headlight switch is pulled full on, you push the dimmer and the lights go on, click again the lights go off? That would mean either the dimmer switch is bad, or the headlights - both bulbs - are missing either the low beam or the high beam. You can test the resistance over both filaments of the bulb.

I don't know if I know what shifter you are using but I suspect automatic trans with a horse-shoe or stirrup shifter where the switch for the backup lights is mounted on the side of the yoke. There are adjustments screws and or the plastic housing of the switch is worn out and can be replaced.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I have a 2 speed powerglyde column shift. What I mean on the front lights is that when I turn the front lights on, if I press the dimmer switch on the floor it turns the front lights on and off. Could my issue with the screw have caused this? Regarding patching the harness; as long as it took for me to get this back together, there is no way I am removing the seat, trim plate to access the harness. I'm just going to pray I did t do any damage to the harness and that it continues to work.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 04:55 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
I have a 2 speed powerglyde column shift.
Okay then the switch is on the column I suspect it is similar to how the manual trans moves the column sleeve that activates the switch. Do you have the AIM?

Quote:
What I mean on the front lights is that when I turn the front lights on, if I press the dimmer switch on the floor it turns the front lights on and off. Could my issue with the screw have caused this?
Okay on this item you either have dead beams (either both highs or both lows) which would be strange to have them both blow at once or you have a dead floor dimmer switch. They are cheap and easy to swap in and out. You can test the bulbs by reading resistance over the lugs, no resistance means dead filament on that lug (high or low). But the floor switch would be the first place to look. It sits in crap all year long so they corrode easy. pull up the carpet and look at the contacts, as maybe you just have a loose connection.

I do not think your harness screw issues caused this since the harness you penetrated services the rear.

Quote:
Regarding patching the harness; as long as it took for me to get this back together, there is no way I am removing the seat, trim plate to access the harness. I'm just going to pray I did t do any damage to the harness and that it continues to work.
If it is in the right place you need not remove the seats. Just peel back the rug from the threshold and see whats up. The nick in the insulation will allow the wire to corrode and will fail prematurely. Fix it right the first time so there isn't a next time IMHO.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

AIM? There is a cover that goes over the threshold and in order to access the threshold you have to undo a screw by the kick panel and back by the rear armrest. I'll take a look and see if I can peel the cover back without removing it. Not sure yet wether my hi or low beams are out. I honestly never used my low beams so if it is my hi beams I can atleast get by until I have the time to work on it. So if I have a dead hi or low beam then I just replace the bulbs and not mess with the switch?

Last edited by tbd67; Dec 30th, 11 at 05:55 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 06:05 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
AIM?
AIM is the acronym for Assembly Instruction Manual - aka the bible. Chevrolet line crews used the manual as reference as to parts and procedures during the assembly process. Every Camaro owner should own a copy of their years AIM.

Quote:
There is a cover that goes over the threshold and in order to access the threshold you have to undo a screw by the kick panel and back by the rear armrest. I'll take a look and see if I can peel the cover back without removing it.
Well if its is a PITA in a 67 then don't sweat it but remember its there as a potential landmine down the road as a short.

Quote:
Not sure yet whether my hi or low beams are out. I honestly never used my low beams so if it is my hi beams I can at least get by until I have the time to work on it.
You should have brighter headlights once you clean up your hood lighting harness, grounds and main splice and junction block. And like I said the floor dimmer swap out is a five minute or less project. The switch is cheap so no point in rebuilding it just replace it

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 11, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Okay, now I'm wondering if my stepson told me wrong on my back up lights. I had him stand behind me earlier and he told me a couple of times when I went in reverse that the back up lights didn't come on. Now I just went out to my garage and went from park to reverse about 10 times and it worked every time......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode