Back up lights 69 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Back up lights 69 Camaro

Hello everyone I have been a camaro owner for 5 years but I am new to this forum. I have a 69 camaro with a 4 speed muncie m 20 transmission I am not sure if the car was originally auto or manua, l searched this forum for back up lights and found some answers, but I still have some questions. I have located the switch on the steering column, but how do you tie the switch into the reverse gear? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 07:19 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Back up lights 69 camaro

There is a reverse lock out rod that travels from the shifter forward to the firewall where it connects to a bell-house crank that then connects to the steering column and twists the sleeve to trigger the backup light switch and allow you to remove the key and lock the steering wheel.

The rod was removed a lot when aftermarket shifters were installed or non factory headers prevented it from working. Some guys pulled the bulbs and left the sleeve in the :reverse position so the wheel would lock and remove the key, or you manually twisted the sleeve...or just leave the lights on which I'm told was a signal that you wanted to race at the next traffic light LOL

Here is a link to Classics but they all sell the kit to restore your lock-out http://www.classicindustries.com/camaro/parts/k578.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Back up lights 69 camaro

Welcome, Rob. Enjoy the membership.
You'll be gigged for pictures. Just warnin' ya.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Re: Back up lights 69 Camaro

I talked to the tech support people at classic industries and was told that this part will not ativate back up lights which confused me even more. that is why I am looking here for some answers. they told me the only way the get the back up lights to work was to put them on a seperate switch on the dash. I hope that someone can shed some light on this problem, if anyone has some pictures they can send me that would be a big help. Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 06:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmjliners View Post
I talked to the tech support people at classic industries and was told that this part will not ativate back up lights which confused me even more. that is why I am looking here for some answers. they told me the only way the get the back up lights to work was to put them on a seperate switch on the dash. I hope that someone can shed some light on this problem, if anyone has some pictures they can send me that would be a big help. Thanks
Nope the rod turns the steering column which twists the switch. If you have always been a 4 speed vehicle you can turn the column sleeve yourself and turn the lights on if the harness is still plugged in.

Classic Industries has a third party boiler room answering their phones, and they have proven over an over again they don't know skit from shine-ola. If it is not on a script they are clueless. The only hope is to call their headquarters during California Business hours to speak with anyone who knows anything.

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jan 1st, 12 at 07:25 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 07:23 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Here are the supporting AIM pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back up switch 1969 AIM.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	26113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse lock out 1969 1.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	26114   Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse lock out 1969 2.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	26115  

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 12, 08:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If your car is missing the linkage like mine was, you could also install a switch on the bottom of your shifter that's activated by the reverse lever of the shifter, run 2 wires from this switch up to the steering column and connect to the 2 wires of the original back up switch. That's what I just did. Total cost was under $30.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode