voltage flucuation - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 12, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

voltage flucuation

anyone had voltage issues? I am having an issue where the voltage in my camaro drops drastically from 14 to 10 volts. it seems to happen most often after I run the RPM's up past 3000 then takes several maybe 10mins for the voltage to jump from 10 to 14 volts (it does not rise slowly it jumps like something reset)

i had a similar issue before where it would not go above 10volts, I replaced the voltage regulator, alternator and plug wires and that seem to fix it. when I was having this problem before the car would barely run, currently I dont seem to be having performance issues.

any ideas

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 12, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: volatage fluxuation

Externally charge the present battery, then try again.
The 14 volt reading tells me the battery needs charging.
Normally, with a warm battery and warm VR, voltage is usually around 13.5 to 13.7 volts after 15-20 minutes of running above 2000 rpm.
Check wire harness from VR to alt. Clean connectors with alcohol.
Ensure both VR chassis is grounded, check bonding strap on the one bolt if using the OE rubber wellnuts, and alt case is grounded, no paint.
Wire brush the two leads and connections on the horn relay buss bar.
If all else fails, get another VR, an electronic one, Wells VR715.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 12, 05:38 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: volatage fluxuation

x2 I was thinking it was either dead cell in the battery, or bad ground.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 12, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Re: voltage flucuation

thanks
i just replaced the VR with the wells VR715 a few months ago. the battery is an Optima red top and the charge is good.

at idle the other day it was 14volts when i drove around and opened it up above 4500 rpm the voltage dropped to 10v and did not return to 14 for almost 10minutes -i hit it pretty hard again and the same thing voltage dropped but now it has not seemed to come back up

Jason

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 12, 06:18 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Check for a bad diode in the alternator. Best way to test is to disconnect wires to alt. Use an ohm meter, one lead on the batt terminal of the alt and the other lead on alt case. There should be no continuity what so ever. If there is find yourself a new alternator.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

diodes in the alternator test ok - alternator is only about 3months old

Jason

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Still have your older mech VR?
Install it and see what happens.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 12, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I'd replace the alternator belt if it's been on the car for a few years. It's possible it starts slipping and gets hot at higher RPM, and takes several minutes to cool off and resume gripping the alternator pully when you're babying it. Next time it acts up, shut the car off and BRIEFLY touch the alternator pully. If it's REALLY hot, you might just need a new belt.

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 12, 04:30 PM
Tech Team
David

How reliable is your volt meter?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

ok, charged battery, tested the charging system and everything comes out ok.

test drive 14volts - hard wide open throttle voltage drops to 12volts, cruising some more volts hold a 12 - wide open throttle 6500 rpm volts drop to 10v. cruising some more volts stay at 10v. wide open throttle volts drop to 8v. if you test the charging system it say recharge batter and retest.

I have a MSD6AL is it possible that it draws the battery down that fast on hard acceleration that on short cruises the alternator can not keep up?

i have a 383 stroker that has dual quads and twist off about 485hp at the rear wheels.

Jason

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 12, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Alternator case should be hot to the touch.
Also, if alt is working, you should feel a magnetic pull on a screwdriver held against the rear bearing, perpendicular to the axis. No pull, alt not working.
Install another non-Optima battery and compare results.

So, if you keep engine rpms below, say 3500, alt works fine?
Shoudl work all the time.
No, MSD -6AL should not draw so much current, it pulls down the charging system.
This is why I suggested the heat of the case and screwdriver pull.
If alt is working, it is working to the max capacity.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode