CS130D alternators...question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 12, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

CS130D alternators...question

Hi guys,
I have seen all the write ups etc. on the CS130 alternators, and I know they much improved and fit virtually perfectly in place of any GM alternator, but how about the CS130D? It's case is smaller yet, and sounds very well designed and readily available, will they physically fit like a CS130? Any experiences with them you would like to relate?
Thanks in advance!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: CS130D alternators...question

Nothing huh? hmm.

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: CS130D alternators...question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
Nothing huh? hmm.
Maybe because most don't think it's worth it to change to a CS-130'D'

The CS-130D even has several differences that many consider a 'disadvantage' ...
Like;
* requires a different mounting system vs. the original, an SI or a CS-130 style
* has a weaker rectification system that was prone to heat inducted failure
* the amperage ratings were not all that much better and in some cases worse than earlier units

Actually, if you're gonna bother with a newer mount style alt system you should just retro to the AD-237 or 244 style and get 50% more power in a more reliable unit

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Thanks for the input John!
Actually, I had heard the CS130 (the older style, up to 96' I believe) was the one that had cooling issues and durabilty issues? The 130D (97' to present) is supposed to have the cooling issue resolved and use a smaller case and internal fans, then again I don't know, thats why I asked .

But the one thing I do see is it requires a different mount, that is a concern since it's been hard enough to find brackets that will work for me (that I like) as is. Are you positive they are different mounting wise? They sure look similar.. hmm.

Well I guess worse case scenario is I'll use the CS130, have you used them? They are definitely better than the older units like mine (ext reg) and I believe the SI's.
Have you guys using the CS130 been just using rebuilt alternators our buying them from someone? I'm not worried about amps because 100 will cover me fine, but durabilty is an issue, this will be on a motor that will see 8-8500 rpm in short bursts.

Thanks for the input!

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 02:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: CS130D alternators...question

The CS-130D differs greatly from the CS-130 - not only in appearance, but the mounting system.
The CS-130 is a 2-point mounting and can easily be configured into the 12 & 6 O-clock mounting style our vehicles use - the CS-130D is a 3-point system and has a different lower mount spacing.
Spacing shown here - Click image for larger version

Name:	CS-130D alternator.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	26359

The CS-130 has all internal electrical components - the CS-130D has the electrical stuff hung 'outside' on the rear under a plastic cap. Maybe easier to service, but looks odd and doesn't like headers ...
The "D" has a heat issue - which was solved with the newer AD series by increasing the air flow over the rear electrical components.

I still prefer a 10/12 SI or a CS-130/144 over the "D".

I've only seen a couple of the AD series, but intend to do some investigating of them for retro applications sometime in the future.

The newer series of alternators are able to withstand higher RPM's than the older units ...

I find a lot of Alternators at the 'pick-it-yourself' spots for good prices.
If I need one quickly I get it locally from any of the 'Chain' parts stores - for a CS with the correct mounts, just ask for something like a 1986~90 Buick La Sabre or Olds Cutlass Ciera with the 3.0/3.3 Liter V-6 engine and you will get a 120Amp unit with a 12 O-clock mount ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Jan 13th, 12 at 02:19 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

Easiest way to do it is get it from Motor City as I have in post #3 of this thread: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ighlight=cs130

I called, told them what I was putting the CS130 in, and it came clocked correctly and with pigtail to match existing OE plug for less than $100. Great folks, great service, and it has been completely trouble free (knocking wood...)

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 12, 04:50 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

If you want a CS130... get the 89? Safari wagon one...already has the right pulley.

Direct fit for me with the long water pump and passenger side mounting.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 12, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Awesome info guys! As usual..

Well based on that info I think I'll stick with the CS130, I like the idea of using a super common but upgraded alternator, and the 130 is still fairly small case which is nice. Also brackets and pulleys have already been a hassle kind of, and a CS130 will fit virtually any chevy mount, as long as it's the 12 o'clock-6 o'clock mounting config.

I liked the idea of getting a good alt from the local pick n pull too, fairly inexpensive for a decent part, at least to get me up and running and sorted out.

Eric, I'll check motor city out as well, thanks for the link!

Doug, what brackets did you use on your motor?

Thanks again guys, very helpful! Any other tips or info much appreaciated, as always!

Sean

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 12, 02:10 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Standard late 70's - mid 80's GM stuff I had boxed up in attic.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode