Safari cs130 + painless help!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 12, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Question Safari cs130 + painless help!!!

Ok I will keep this as short as possible.

Specs:
1968 camaro
painless 18 circuit

was hooked up originally with old school ext reg alternator but did not have enough juice to keep fans ect going. everything worked just not enough amperage

fast forward....... rewire car for cs 130 from the safari

here are the connections
(reminder this is a painless harness that the company refuses to give you the diagrams but the tech rep said that the alternator exciter wire was in line with the dummy light

xciter wire connecter to L on cs130
S on connector connected to a junction maxblade 70 amp fuse that has all power routed through it ( this is fed from the starter via 8 guage on one side and dash power, s connection wire, and bat term post from alternator on the other side)

also another wire from the painless harness is routed to the alternator bat post this wire goes to the main fuse panel . I have followed these diagrams exactly aside from running the s wire to the main power maxifuse instead of a short jumper (10 guage) wire goes from alt to maxifuse on firewall.

ok thats the specs

gen light did not come on when in run position but comes on in acc

I removed the alternator and took it to have it checked and instant fail on advanced auto parts machine........

I have gone over these schematics and message boards and post for hours and still haven't scene where i wired this up wrong. Hopefully someone sees something I dont

So my question.... did I wire this wrong and fry the alternators internal regulator or was it just bad luck and got a bad unit.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 12, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Re: Safari cs130 + painless help!!!

This is the Harness manual pdf. the alternator sections are on page 7 and *8 http://www.painlesswiring.com/Manuals/20101.pdf
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

http://www.novaresource.org/alternator.htm for an additional help since the posted address locks up my PC.
May be a bad alternator.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 08:48 AM
Tech Team
Corey

Hey Simon, take this as some advice. I worked on a 1991 Honda Civic about 1 year ago for a charging problem. I put 6 alternators on before I got one that would charge. All units were either reman or new out of the box. Thankfully customer was understanding of the situation...So yes it is possible you started out with a bad alternator.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Ok picked up new alternator today ...hooked it up same wiring still no gen lamp. Wtf
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

FYI had it tested before I left the place...checked out good
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 09:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

It looks like you have it wired right at least for the alternator to work. I dont use a gen light. I use a volt guage to watch the voltage.

Here is how I wire my cars and I only use the painless 18 circuit kit because mine are mostly custom wiring.

I use one of these from McMaster Carr # 9365T3
http://www.mcmaster.com/#terminal-blocks/=ftgroq

You want the alternator to sense the load from your electrical system.

I use the big terminal block to connect all loads.

I run a #6 from the battery to this terminal block.( center post )
I run a #8 from the alternator to this terminal block. ( center post )
I run a #10 ( painless feed ) to this terminal block. I still use there fuse block.
If I have any other loads that the Painless kit does not have I run to this terminal block.
Ie: fans, fuel pump

This way all the load is at the big terminal block and the alternator will sense the load.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

So i check the resistance of the connector that I got from the parts store and it has no resistance. so the question is ...does painless have the bulb wired in with the #914 exciter wire to show resistance. The voltage shows 12.8 at the bat lug, 12.8 at the s wire and 12.8 at the exciter wire. My forehead is getting huge from banging it up against this wall........

On a side note. Painless could do us all a favor and make there manuals a little more descriptive ...They need to update these books cause the references to their diagrams don't match...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The wire going to the GEN light should show some resistance in its path.
You can measure this resistance by disconnecting the battery positive clamp and measure from the clamp through the ign sw in IGN position and to the end of the CS 'L' wire. You should measure the resistance of the bulb.

This 'L' wire needs some resistance, up to maybe 100 ohms.
If you have a GEN light with ign sw in ACC, there should be a GEN light with ign sw in IGN.

You started with an external reg'd alt.
Have you jumpered the ext VR connector? Jumper the two inside wires together and jumper the two outside wires together.
Brown wire from dash/light to now alt blue wire is GEN light.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Can't jumper this setup all alt re wiring removed and this is a painless harness not oem.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 01:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

The manual shows white #914 ignition source to be in series with the bulb or if you dont use a bulb to insert a resistor so you dont burn up the internal regulator.

Page 8
Figure 7-2C CS-130 Connector and Pin Out

Mike

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

That's why I am confused .....it is wired that way and still no light......light does work when in acc position
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 03:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

With the key on do you have 12 volts on the white #914 wire? That is what excites the alternator. Is the alternator working when the car is running?

Mike

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Yes... 12.56.....with key in run position.....haven't started car to check if it charges while running..don't want to fry another one..
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

In my experience (for our cars), the CS130 is fragile, even if properly wired.

I went through 3 CS130s in short order before embracing the 12SI.

I like the concept of the CS130; small, light with modern voltage sensing and charging, but they have fragile electronics.

EVEN if you get everything wired properly with the CS130, if the battery is in too low a charge, the unit will burn itself out trying to bring the battery up to charge. The CS130 is not a durable alternator like the DN or SI series. My last CS130 was an Iceburg, but it too failed in short order.

Ditch the CS and fit a high amp 12SI and you will never look back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode