Ac delete - what to do with the wiring? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Ac delete - what to do with the wiring?

All, i have a 68 rs camaro. I've done an ac delete on it and wonder if i can just pull the wiring harness that exits the center of the firewall just below the wiring gutter? Thinking of pulling the wires back through the firewall and closing off that hole - but not sure if i'll need any of those wires need to remain.

Anybody know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage
Re: Ac delete - what to do with the wiring?

I am sure others will have a different idea, but I think I would pull them through the firewall and bundle them up real nice and tidy making sure no bare leads were present and tie them off up under the dash and out of the way. Use those black plastic tie straps and/or the wire wrapping tape for harnesses and stay away from electrical tape, because as you probably already know, it will get hot and sticky and messy. Then I would leave the rubber grommets in place and get a tube of black silicone and fill in the grommet openings. That way you or possibly someone else can reverse the procedure if needed later. At least you wouldn't have to resplice the wires or buy a harness. Just my opinion of course. J.R.

I forgot to mention that I think having all that extra wire hanging around the wire gutter might look tacky, unless you can get it all inside the wire gutter neatly; then maybe that might turn out ok. And concerning your last comment, if you keep the wiring intact, you will have them if you do need them for somthing else, especially the power feed that is already protected through your fuse block.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 04:11 AM
Tech Team
Corey

I am currently in the process of doing AC delete on my 67. Now are you going to be running a heater still or not? If so you will still need the wires for the blower motor to come through the firewall. As for the blower motor resistor and relay you can relocate them under the dash if you would like, up to you.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I do want to keep the heater operational, so yes, you are right, i saw some other info on guys doing the same -- Need to keep those wires, and yes, good call on moving the relay under the dash neatly.

And the ac wires i'll just pull and tie up under the dash- good call.

If interested, i used the ac delete cover from acdelete.com. So far, very happy with it - good fit and finish.

Cheers guys. I will have pictures up once i'm all done this work in a couple months. I'm doing a cosmetic restore on the entire front clip and storing the numbers matching 327, and putting in zz4 done up.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 12, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics67rs View Post
I am currently in the process of doing AC delete on my 67. Now are you going to be running a heater still or not? If so you will still need the wires for the blower motor to come through the firewall. As for the blower motor resistor and relay you can relocate them under the dash if you would like, up to you.
I'd be interested in how you set up the blower motor resistor and relay.

Thanks
Brett

68 RS/SS L48 sold
68 project car
97 30th Anniv. SS sold
90 IROC L98 sold
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 12, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hey Brett, I'm probably going to tackle that next weekend, I'll let you know how I make out.

So close to starting this car I can taste it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h1qgks

68 Camaro RS Convertible
Ermin white, black front accent band
Deluxe Interior, power top
Rally wheels
ZZ4 turnkey with TH350
Matching numbers 327 and powerglide stored
All original metal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode