Light Harness Alternator Adapter Help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Light Harness Alternator Adapter Help

I am replacing my front light harness on my 67 camaro. I took the old one off yesterday and started putting the new one on and realized there was something funky going on with the adapter for the alternator. My alternator is on the passenger side and not the drivers side. I am pretty sure the alternator originally was on the drivers side. Because the alternator is on the passenger side the harness that goes from the alternator to the light harness drapes across the motor. There is a plug along with a screw adapter on the harness that the alternator wire attaches to (see attached pics). At some point someone spliced the alternator attachment and I noticed that the male end that attaches the light harness plug only has one male end. My plug has two holes. One is a blue wire and one is a white (or tan/yellow color). What is going on here? Which plug should I put the single male end back it to, the blue or yellow wire? I am sure they spliced the alternator wire because the factory one was not long enough since the alternator moved. Long story short, I want to get this thing back to where it is supposed to be. For now though do I plug the single male end of the alternator wire into the blue or white plug?
The first picture is an old picture when I first got the car (yes, the ugly exhaust manifolds are gone). If you look closely you can see the plastic conduit that goes back behind the power steering pump across to the alternator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Re: Light Harness Alternator Adapter Help

If you still have your old harness, use it as a guide for your alt wiring setup.

Too bad you didn't read through a few of the parts suppliers catalogs as they stock '67 and '68 light harnesses for passenger side alternators (a common mod) w/integrated or non-integrated voltage regulators.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I know where everything goes as far as my new harness, except the alternator plug. I did not mark which hole the male alternator end was in before I pulled it off. So I am not sure if it goes in the hole with the blue or white wire. Anyone know what the difference is between these two wires? Yeh, I wasn't aware the passenger side alternator came factory from the other side, until yesterday.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 04:29 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Blue and white control the field coil to tell the alt to charge and the lead to the GEN light. Both flow back to the Voltage Regulator.
From memory since I don't have my AIM at work with me:
Blue is the F or 2 wire, White is the 1 wire on the VR connector. Looking at the back of the Alt, blue on the F term on the pass side, white on the 1 term drivers side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Blue wire would go to the F terminal on the back side of the alt, pass side spade.
White wire goes to R terminal.
Blue wire needs connected as the blue wire is field voltage from the VR making the alt convert energy, ie, run electrical accessories and recharge the battery.
The white wire is stator return from the alt to the VR and this voltage energizes the field relay inside the VR and relays BAT voltage to the other side of the GEN light turning off the light if the alt is running.

Brian, you type fast.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 12, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Okay, so if I had to choose, for now, plug into the blue wire? So would it be a pain to move the alternator back to the other side? How much would be involved in doing that? Does it matter what block you have? Mine is a 350 that came out of a 77 vette. Would I just need to buy new brackets for the alternator and the power steering pump? Or do they sell a harness that would accomodate the alternator on the drivers side? I bought the stock replacement harness from American Autowire. I think I could return it, if there is another option out there. Just need to figure out the easiest fix, but at the same time I don't want to do it half a**ed like the previous owner of this car did.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I would plug in both of them, blue and white.
Changing over to drvr side would require drvr side brackets, as the bracket bolts to the exhaust manifold bolts, the upper adjustment bracket, the 'short' water pump, aka, '68 w/pump, corresponding pulleys, both crankshaft and water pump and PS, PS bracketry for the 'short' w/pump, and the bolts to bolt everything up.

It's easier to rewire the alt.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

So do they make a stock replacement light harness for a 67 camaro with a passenger side alternator?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Yep, "they" sure do!

Troll through the Classic Camaro website or give them a call.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Call American Auto Wire and see if they can set you up with a pigtail to change it over. Or just to see what they recomend. They have been very helpful every time I have called them.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I believe you would have to ask for a '69 harness as up to '68 were drvr side.
I was side tracked in answering, so looks like it is answered.

'
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Okay, I called American Autowire and yes they were helpful. The sell a harness for a 67 that is for a passenger side alternator. I just have to upgrade to internally regulated alternator, which I probably needed to do anyways. The shop here in Tulsa said he would take back the one I bought from him and I ordered the correct one this morning. Part # is CA72094PI for anyone in need of this same harness. It's $30 more because of the additional wiring, but I don't care.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 09:10 AM
Senior Tech
Al

A 69 harness will have side marker light sockets which you can't use. Not a big deal, but if they offer a 67 harness for pass side alt that would be the ticket. Since you already have your harness, as said by Andy, an extension pigtail might be easier

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Well, if they didn't have the option for the passenger harness then I would get the pigtail, but I don't like how the current set up goes across my engine bay. I should have the new one in by the end of next week. A little research before hand would have saved me the hassle, but I guess thats how we learn things sometimes.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 12, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Glad they were able to help you out. They make great stuff I have their harnesses on both my cars.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode