Front LED turn signal bulbs - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage
Front LED turn signal bulbs

I have installed a Painless 20101 harness in my 68 Camaro. I wanted to add some LED lights. I have switched to an electronic flasher unit and added 1157 type LED bulbs. When I turn the left or right signal on both lights blink along with the front side marker lights like the flasher is activated. I have pulled the 4 way flasher unit with no change. When I try the regular incandescent bulb everything works fine. All LED's are lit and the intensity changes when flashing, I think since there is voltage on all LED's when activated that may be causing the problem. I am considering adding diodes to isolate the socket but really don't want to go to the trouble. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Camaro, GM Performance ZZ4, TH350 W/Shift Kit, Sanderson Headers, MagnaFlow SS Exhaust, Vintage Air, Unisteer Rack, Dakota Digital, Ididit Column, Eaton Posi, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Custom Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 07:39 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Front LED turn signal bulbs

Is the electronic flasher you swapped to rated for, and matched to the specs of the LEDS you are using? If the LEDS are true replacement style bulbs you may have luck with a standard mechanical flasher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I thought a new LED flasher was required when converting to LED lights.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As suggested, swap in a heavy duty flasher, P/N 552.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage

I bought an LED electronic flasher unit from Ricks. I assumed it would work. It fit correctly and all I had to do was hook up a ground. The flasher that was included with the Painless harness did the same thing, it did not have a ground.

1968 Camaro, GM Performance ZZ4, TH350 W/Shift Kit, Sanderson Headers, MagnaFlow SS Exhaust, Vintage Air, Unisteer Rack, Dakota Digital, Ididit Column, Eaton Posi, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Custom Stripes
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 10:01 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

so the flasher is for LED only? Then it should have worked. If it is just an Electronic replacement of the standard or HD flasher units, it would expect the full voltage load which the LEDs are never going to draw. So I would expect that you have to add resistance on the circuit to mimic a standard bulbs resistance.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 11:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I had the same problem when I installed Marquez Design front blinkers and Spaghetti Engineering sequencial tail lights. I ended up adding a diode to each front blinker. I had the flashers with the ground wires.

I tried adding the diode to the wire feeding the front bulbs on the headlight switch. But that did not work.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 12:08 PM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

Generation 1 wiring has a parasitic path to ground through the opposite parking lamp when turn is initiated. For an incandescent, if the normal ground is strong enough, it is not enough current to light the other bulb. LED's require much less current, and I can see where this could happen.

The reason you have to change flashers when you put in LED's is that all OE flashers are designed to meet DOT specifications, which require "lamp outage." In other words, if one of your bulbs burns out, the flasher has to indicate this to you. It can either stick on (what thermals like in our gen 1's do), or flash at about double rate.

LED's make it look like a bulb is burned out unless a load resistor is put in place to match the current draw, thus causing your stock flasher to stick on. Enter the aftermarket LED flasher, which is not sensitive to current load. You just need one that will work down low enough in current to operate with your turn LED's.

All that info to say that changing your flasher probably won't fix this. The diodes if put in the right place are likely the best option.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 12, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsego View Post
I have installed a Painless 20101 harness in my 68 Camaro. I wanted to add some LED lights. I have switched to an electronic flasher unit and added 1157 type LED bulbs. When I turn the left or right signal on both lights blink along with the front side marker lights like the flasher is activated. I have pulled the 4 way flasher unit with no change. When I try the regular incandescent bulb everything works fine. All LED's are lit and the intensity changes when flashing, I think since there is voltage on all LED's when activated that may be causing the problem. I am considering adding diodes to isolate the socket but really don't want to go to the trouble. Any ideas?
I bought 2 flashers from Superbrightleds.com,they have no ground wire on them,everything worked perfectly, my car is entirely led now accept the headlights and gen. warning light. No diodes needed. I have original wiring. If I were you I would try their flashers, you need 2. One flasher for signals and one for emergency flash,hope this helps. The old 552 or whatever it was would not flash.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 12, 05:58 AM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

Quote:
I have switched to an electronic flasher unit ...
I didn't ask, which electronic flasher do you have? If it is already blinking the LED's then it's doing it's job, the mechanization of which lights turn on is independent, just curious.

You can also try to improve your grounds before trying the diode. The metal to metal interfaces in the bulb sockets get a high resistance over time. I had to braze mine together to make my standard 1157's work without the same symptoms.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 12, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage

I have the Electronic Flasher unit from Ricks part number PL-58. I have a new Painless wiring harness. I have things grounded and bonded and don't think a ground is the problem. I will check and maybe run a secondary ground to test if it helps. What is strange is that both signals and the front marker lights flash which means there is some parasitic voltage getting into the parking light wire.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 12, 06:09 AM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

Quote:
I have the Electronic Flasher unit from Ricks part number PL-58. I have a new Painless wiring harness. I have things grounded and bonded and don't think a ground is the problem.
That flasher should work fine, and if it is blinking both right now, it is doing it's job. I'm not familiar with Painless wiring.

I made a separate post for one unexpected grounding problem here:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...70#post1663470

this comes up frequently so I thought I'd make it easier to search. If you have the original housings you might check that out. LED's take a lot less current to operate, so even if it works okay with regular lamps there might be enough leak current to light them up.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 14, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by L30 327 View Post
I bought 2 flashers from Superbrightleds.com,they have no ground wire on them,everything worked perfectly, my car is entirely led now accept the headlights and gen. warning light. No diodes needed. I have original wiring. If I were you I would try their flashers, you need 2. One flasher for signals and one for emergency flash,hope this helps. The old 552 or whatever it was would not flash.
do you recall which flashers you purchased?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
John

Garage

I had a similar problem with a PL58. Called the manufacturer and they had me reverse polarity on the flasher mounted on the fuse box down by the drivers left foot. Summit caries the reverser Ricks does not.
Just try it with test leads first. I think you need a PL58 on the hazard flasher also for this to work.
I was given the phone number and contact info of the supplier to call from Ricks.
Good luck
John

67 383 stroker 460hp RS SS clone 4sp blk on blk m21 Chevelle 12 bolt rear end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode