9 LED Glovebox Light - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 12, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

9 LED Glovebox Light

Just got my glovebox light set up I had to reverse the polarity to the bulb because LEDs only work one way, bottom connection on bulb base must be ground on these old '69s but the LEDs come the oppisite way. My heater bulb was the same way. The only ones I've run into like that are the bayonet 1445 9 LED bulb. I know what you're thinking, why did'nt he buy a new glove box? Well I did'int know it was in that rough of shape or I would have. Does anybody know if the repo. ones are any good,or are they crap. Looks like getting stuff out of my glove box at night will be a lot easier now. Well I guess that about does it for the LED lighting project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 12, 06:15 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 9 LED Glovebox Light

Jeeeze looks like you could preform surgery in there its so bright.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 12, 06:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Looks like an "Easy Bake Oven" in there! I gotta do some of those LED lights. Thanks for all the information you have provided.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 12, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Thanks guys, its been kinda fun messin' around with 'em. Now I have to find another project for it,I get bored not working on anything especially in the wintertime. Do any of you guys have any idea if the reproduction glove boxes are any good or not?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 12, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I've got a reproduction box in my '69 and it fits fine.

When you get a chance can you post up all the part numbers, quantities, and locations for all the LEDs you did? Thanks. I'm thinking about rewiring my dash lights to be on all the time. Either that or paint the needles with glow in the dark paint.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 12, 06:15 AM
Guess

My replacement fit fine also.

Man, with all these threads about going with LED's, I just added another checkbox to my list.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 12, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I've got a reproduction box in my '69 and it fits fine.

When you get a chance can you post up all the part numbers, quantities, and locations for all the LEDs you did? Thanks.
I would like that too. I checked the web site for the bulbs and there are a lot of choices to make. At the per bulb prices I wouldn't want to order incorrectly. Thank you in advance.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 12, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
I would like that too. I checked the web site for the bulbs and there are a lot of choices to make. At the per bulb prices I wouldn't want to order incorrectly. Thank you in advance.
Yea,I ordered a few incorrectly,wasn't a big deal . You can send them back and get your card credited, just keep original packaging. In fact I tried a whole bunch and kept what I liked the best and sent the rest back. I do think that Superbrights is a really good company to do business with. I did find another one online that had some pretty potent looking LEDs. I think they were called Autoillumination.com,but didn't like their website as well as Superbrights.
Superbrights tell you the degree of light angles for all the bulbs and they have a brightness scale for most of their bulbs.
Anyway I can tell you what I ordered that worked the best for me. I used their vehicle bulb finder on their site. I can tell you that I went through approx.$325.00,but I'll never have to buy another light again,or have to worry about any"burning out",or getting pulled over because of that. Also the Digitails kit is like $220.00 or so and that just does the tail lights only,and requires hacking of harness.

Ok, here goes,

instrument and gauges- WLED-XHP5: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb:Green $5.95 ea.
courtesy lights-1156x12: 12-LED BA15Sbulb Cool White 100 Degree $6.99 ea.
dome and rear console-UPCB-xWHP30-FES 30 HIGH POWER Rectangle PCB Lamp w/Festoon Base $ 17.90 ea.
front turn signal-1157-x3X1W 3x1.3 Watt High Power LED BAY 15D bulb Amber $16.95 ea.
rear turn sig& brake-1157-x45HP-LED BAY 15D Tower Bulb Red $ 24.95 ea.
rear tail-1156x18-T: 18HP LED BA15S Tower Bulb Red $17.95 ea.
back-up-1156-x45-T: 45HP- LED BA15S Tower Bulb Cool White $24.95 ea.
side marker-WLED-x5 LED T10 Wide Angle Wedge Base Bulb $2.99ea. red& amber ones.
heater&glove box-BA9s-xHP9:9LED High Power Bulb green for heater& white for glove box $9.95ea. These are not polarized right for '69 Camaro sockets,so you will either have to switch your wires around to the socket or solder wires on the bulb and use a donor base from another bulb,that's what I did in my glove box,Hope that makes sense to you all.(see Glove box pic.)
If anybody has and questions just go ahead and ask.
I was tempted to try some different colors in the instruments like blue,because I have a blue interior but I thought I better play it safe and just stick with green.

Last edited by L30 327; Feb 7th, 12 at 06:11 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 12, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Oh, and on the courtesy lights I used the 12 LED , you can get 'em up to 30 LED if you want more area lit down there. I had to bend my courtesy light defuser sides out a little so the bulbs didn't touch the sides,cause if that happens your lights will not go out at all, because it creates an extra ground just like leaving your doors open. It took me a few minutes to figure that one out, lights on with the doors shut, hmmm, really freaked me out. So if you did get the bigger courtesy lights you'd have to bend the defusers out a little more, but I thought 12 LED was enough for me. You could even put a regular 1156 like a back up light 360 degree down there but that might be a bit much. Also on the front turn signal/parking light I tried a 45 LED tower "the big bad boy" but I liked the 3x1.3 watt spotlight type better. It seemed to flash brighter with the turn signal and emergency. And duh I thought the tail lights were all 1157, but just the outer ones are,the inners are 1156. You can probably save a few bucks going 18 tower on the tail lights instead of 45 tower they seem to be about the same brightness to me,but the Superbright site shows the 45 tower as being the brightest. The dome light I used is a little card with 30 LEDs in it,then I zip tied it to the festoon spring thing so it didin't just sit on the dome light cover. I'm pretty sure that is their brightest dome light.
You don't want a weak dome light. I think I had the most fun doing the Tach, Speedo. and Gauges, cause those used to be pretty weak and it always bothered me. Well I'm about typed out ( I type really slow) So if you do it good luck it's a pretty fun project. Damn I wish I would have ordered a new glove box LOL.

Last edited by L30 327; Feb 7th, 12 at 06:26 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 12, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Eric.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 12, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Sure, the way I see it is, You guys have helped my fix and improve probably 15 things on my Camaro. My back up lights didin't even work until I got on here and read about the hurst switch and steering colum trick. Just trying to give back some.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 12, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Thank you very much Eric!

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 12, 09:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
Looks like an "Easy Bake Oven" in there! I gotta do some of those LED lights. Thanks for all the information you have provided.
Well, except for the fact that LED's are VERY cool to the touch.

Jeff
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 12, 11:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Well, except for the fact that LED's are VERY cool to the touch.

Jeff
It's a slow roaster!

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 12, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Hey guys,
I almost forgot, there's one more. The license plate bulb, #67, the widest angle LED they had for that was 100 degree. Not so good, it only light up about 2/3rds of my plate. They sell a bunch of sockets that you can adapt different bulbs to. So I might try to get one that will switch me from 1156/67 to a wedge based bulb, then I will have the 360 degree lighting for the plate. I'm going to browse around their site and see what I can come up with. I'll keep ya posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode