Electrical help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 12, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Electrical help

Ok I`ve been looking and there is a lot of info on the subject but I think my problem may be a little different. Sorry if I`m mistaken guys.Whenever I plug in my wiper motor it blows the fuse for the tail and dash lights. Even 30 amp fuses. It will continue to run after the lights go out. The motor will also run by itself when the switch is off or even disconnected. I`m pretty sure there is an entire different fuse for the wipers and the 2 are not supposed to be together. When I connect the switch it runs slower if the switch is on and faster when off. The motor is original I think. Bad motor maybe? I replaced the headlight switch because the one in it was original and they actually had one when I asked so I know that`s good and probably not connected to the problem,but my front parking lights go off when I turn on the headlights. Aren't they supposed to stay on? Turn signals still work. This is a 67 model year car. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 12, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Electrical help

For '67, it is normal operation for the front parking lights to go off when headlamps are turned on.

Now for the wipers to continue to work after turned off by the wiper switch means there is a ground happening elsewhere than besides the wiper switch, The switch provides the ground completing the circuit, notice the ground clip behind the switch on the mounting of the switch to the backside of the dash.

Wipers have their own fuse as this is an safety accessory just like lights, both stop lights and headlights. There could be an additional ground provided by the lights and the ground is not supposed to be present. Headlamp switch has a circuit breaker inside it for safety.

Unplug a set of lights, ie, parking/tail lights and see if fuse blows again. If it does, then separate front and rear lights. The lights blowing the fuse is the problem circuit.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 12, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Re: Electrical help

Is it possible that there is a problem inside the motor itself? I know its grounded good to the firewall so if there was some kind of short inside it could cause troubles throughout the body right? Anyway to keep those parking lights on with the headlights too? They said that the same switch was used in a whole lot of cars for a long time, do they all disengage like that? Just doesn`t seem practical. My dad had this car before me and I distinctly remember the parking and headlights always being on at the same time. I'm almost positive they didn`t start turning off until I changed the switch.

Oh and I should probably stress that the wipers run at full speed even with no switch connected at all.

-So I`ve been screwing around with different combos and I think I may have a problem with my fusebox. When I turned on the headlights it actually killed power to the whole car without the wiper motor even being plugged in. Earlier it did that and killed the engine too, no nothing for 5 min and then power came back like nothing happened. This time I pushed on the little breaker on the fuse box thinking maybe that had something to do with it, and it came back on like the box had a little wiggle to it. Whats behind the fusebox? Gremlins? I can`t find any bad wires in the trunk, dash, or anywhere so far and now its blowing the wiper motor and tail light fuses.

Last edited by Dynomite; Feb 10th, 12 at 09:18 PM. Reason: new developments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode