Fuel Gauge is not accurate - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fuel Gauge is not accurate

I tried to google this and didnt get much help. I have a 69 camaro and the fuel gauge works just not accurate at all. I notice when I feel the tank all the way up it goes well past the full line on the gauge then when the tank is empty the gauge stops on 1/4 tank...

Could this just be the wiring on the top of the tank or the sending unit itself?

Any help would be apprecitated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 07:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Re: Fuel Gauge is not accurate

Your fix is as easy as pulling the needle off and replacing it in the correct location.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 08:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

You're lucky that it works that well... I've been fighting issues with mine for quite a while.

I agree with Andrew on your fix.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 09:16 AM
Guess

That's one fix. I did the same thing. I gave myself a small 'reserve' when I moved the needle but it turns out I over-compensated. I have tons of fuel left when I'm on E.

But it's possible your sender is just wearing out or the signals from the sender aren't what they used to be from age. How old is the tank sender and wiring?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I bought the car 4 years ago and havent done anything to the fuel gauge it used to work pretty well now it seems that it is way off. I ran out of gas sunday lol. I dont really have any idea how old the unit sender is
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 10:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I have the same problem as the OP. Gas gage didn't work at all when I bought the car. I diagnosed the problem to be a faulty sending unit, bought a new one, put everything back together and it works now just reads 1/4 tank high. I thought I would have to drop the tank and bend the arm on the sender to get an accurate reading but moving the needle on the gage sounds like less hassle. Is this a fairly simple job or am I likely to break my gas gage trying to remove the needle? It's a center console gage if that matters.
Thanks, Mike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I had the same issue with my old tank and got burned 3 times as I ran out of gas. 1/4 meant empty - no more, no less. When I redid my suspension I pulled the tank off and decided to paint it. While doing this I had the tank laying upside down for a while as well as moving the tank around forced the float on the sending unit to fully expand and move in various directions. When I reinstalled the tank the issue went away and 1/4 actually meant 1/4. The bad news is that the fix didn't last very long and sure enough few weeks later 1/4 meant empty hence my 3rd time running out of gas. Got a new tank/sending unit after that and it's been all good ever since.

Matt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK ill check everything and my gas gauge is actually in the dash so is this hard to get too?? My sending unit is really easy to get to without droping the tank as I have a compartment door in the trunk I just open up and there is the top of the tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 02:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Do a search on this, Threre's lots of info!!! Does a 69 have a ground wire on the body, back by the sending unit ??? Check that first so you know it's getting good ground!!! New repo sending units are off most of the time!!! Some where on here there is a way to check the sending with an oms meter, to make sure it read's right. Then if your gauge still read's wrong you know it's the gauge and not the sending unit!!! I put a new repo in my tank, but before that I checked it with a oms meter to make sure it tested alright !!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 09:17 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Just moving the needle is a cosmetic cover to a failing hardware component. Your sender, wiring, grounds and gauge need to be tested to find the fault.

Here is my troubleshooter:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...91&postcount=2

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Feb 16th, 12 at 04:57 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 12, 04:02 AM
Guess

Adjusting the needle is as easy as removing the lens on the gauge with a couple screws at the top, CAREFULLY pulling the needle straight off the tiny breakable shaft, then reinstalling it at whatever location you want.
Fill the tank completely first of course, then put the needle back on at the F mark.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 12, 07:34 PM
Team Member
Gary

I would unplug the sender wire in the trunk. See what the gauge reads. You can then ground that wire at the end that goes into the harness. Can't remember which is which but, one way will read empty and the other way full. I bet its the sender in the tank. gauge works by amount of resistance to ground. gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode