Buzzing Coil syndrome - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 12, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Buzzing Coil syndrome

This is a weird one! I just hooked up a 12si alternator, but not sure it's related to this problem.

I have a 68 Camaro and noticed when turning the key to (on) the coil begins to buzz just like a door buzzer? The system is a points type setup with a Lazer II CDI to super coil to accel 37100 dual point distrubutor. I have had this setup since I built the motor years ago. I never heard this buzzing sound before in all that time.

If the coil wire is hooked to the distributor it will sound the same until I unplugged the wire from the dist to the Lazer box. But as mentionjhed it does not have to be hooked up to the distributor to buzz. It also happens intermittenly too? Sometimes it ok and few cranks later the buzzing. The car runs fine though regardless.

I tried a new coil and distributor (exact items) and no change. I replaced the Lazer II wire to the distributor and really pushed the coil wire down into the coil and distributor thinking it could also be not seated all the way into the sockets. After doing this it's quiet again (for now at least).

Also is it normal for when the key is in the on position and you connect the power cable for the coil to fire ounce? I saw a message from Everett on when they went from dn to si they changed the ingitions by adding an extra tab to reduce sometype of feed back? Not sure what it is, but if it happen s agin maybe return it to a dn setup.

Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode