Headlight / Turn Signal Issue... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Headlight / Turn Signal Issue...

I've read through every post on this subject and am at a dead end. Here is my issue:

I recently replaced the entire wiring harness in my 68 Camaro with an AAW harness. I am fighting one last issue--the left turn signal is acting strange.

With headlights off:
-When I turn on the left turn signal, the driver's side: marker light, signal indicator and rear turn signal light up, but do not blink.

With headlights on:
-When I turn on the left signal, the turn signal indicator light and marker light do not turn on....but the driver's side rear turn signal works perfectly.

Additional Info:
- The hazard lights work fine.
- I have digi-tails LED tail lights
- I have installed a brand new AAW 1968 Camaro wiring harness with new flashers, new bulb sockets and new bulbs.
- I "double-grounded" the dash carrier to the car to ensure that particularly troublesome ground is okay.
- The car's chassis grounds are fresh and in place with star washers.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Brent

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 08:01 AM
r_w
Senior Tech
Robert

What kind of flashers? If you have thermals in there they aren't getting enough current draw with the LED's.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Headlight / Turn Signal Issue...

Yes, as mentioned above, do you have the flasher for the LED,s. Spaghetti Engineering had the cheapest prices on the flashers.

The flasher will have a wire on it that has to go to ground.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I will install the flashers from Spagehtti engineering and see what happens...

Question though--why would this be isolated to the driver's side only? Is that how the flasher is set up (left/right)?

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Try a heavy duty flasher, 552.
Murphy's Law.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 10:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
I will install the flashers from Spagehtti engineering and see what happens...

Question though--why would this be isolated to the driver's side only? Is that how the flasher is set up (left/right)?
I dont know if that will fix your problem. The last 2 sets of LED tail lights I put in had to have the led flasher to work. I tried all the different flashers and had a couple heavy duty flashers and they still would not work.

They would all light up but not blink. You seem to be having a different problem but I would get the correct flasher first.

Good luck.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 12, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Thanks guys. I have the LED flashers in hand and will try them first. If that fails, I will try to heavy duty flasher that Everett recommends.

Stay tuned and I will report back with the results

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

You may also note that AAW isn't perfect. I bought a complete set up and had to send the engine harness back because of an open in the resistor wire and had to swap a couple terminals in another harness...

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 05:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Wait, why is your marker light lighting up?????

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Update--I am still having problems but have fixed a couple of things:

1. I used double star washers on each ground (front and back of the bolt/nut) and dielectric grease. I scraped the ground area to bare metal before re-installing them. I did this for 5 grounds in the front of the car (in radiator support area), 4 behind the dash and 2 in the trunk. There are no more grounds that I know of.
  2. I installed a heavy duty flasher for the hazards (which work perfectly) and used the LED flasher with a ground wire for the turn signals)
  3. I installed a secondary ground from the instrument cluster

With the Headlights Off:

The turn signals work perfectly front and rear.

With the Headlights on:

The parking lights work perfectly

Both dash turn signal indicators light up at the same time (no matter what side I engage), but do not blink.

Rear:
Each rear LED turn signal lights up brightly when I engage that side's turn signal, but does not blink

Front:
The front turn signals do not work at all with the headlights on--they are totally dark.

So, bottom line, when I turn on the headlights, the signals don't work--they get bright and freeze on.

Any advice?--I don't know where to go from here.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Just a couple of questions:

Did everything work correctly before the AAW harness change?
Did everything work correctly before changing over to LED lights? I know it sounds kind of dumb,but you might be able to determine at what point the problem started. Just my .02. Also the 552 flasher would not flash my LEDS, had to buy electronic for signal and emerg. to flash. BTW that is a great looking '68. I like how you did the pic. Good luck with your problem,you'll figure it out.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Eric,

Everything worked great before the harness change. The LED lights were installed before the harness change and they did work great.

I have a heavy duty 552 for the hazards (they work great) and an LED flasher for the signals (which work great until I put the headlights on)

Thanks for the comment on the car--I pulled it behind a department store and took some shots of it--I was looking for a solid color with no people around to think I was a dork for taking pics of my car...I was able to be a dork in private...

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

So something's not right in the AAW harness somewhere,right? Maybe send it back for another one? If you can?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Try two ideas, maybe three:
1. From the parking lights, run a separate ground back to the battery neg post.
2. Run a jumper from pos battery post to flasher.
3. If niether of the above works, add an external DC power supply (1st choice) or an external battery charger (2nd choice) to the battery posts.

I'm thinking with headlights on, not enough power, read watts, being provided for the turn signals with the headlamps on.

As Capt Kirk would say, "Need more power, Scotty"

Since two others have answered as I typed, I'm sure you tried the 552 for the regular flasher?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Cost me $2,100 to have installed cause i didnt have the time to do it...I can't imagine having to do that again...I'm prob stuck checking wire by wire.....!

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode