5" Autometer Speedo/Tach install - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 12, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Andy

5" Autometer Speedo/Tach install

Hi,
I know this topic has been beat to death and I have done all the topic searches, but I cant seem to figure out the wiring part of this install. I have replaced the factory speedo/fuel with phantom speedo/tach. The tach was pretty easy because I had an existing tach (autometer street) so all I did was cut the wires and added female connectors to connect the phantom tach. The issue I am having is the speedo with sender (from the trans). I have the sender hooked up and it has three wires coming out of it. I have the white (signal) routed back to the speedo, the black (ground) is grounded to the sub-frame, but the red wire is what has me confused. I have read the direction and understand where it is suppose to go, but do I cut the 12v wire from the previous harness (if so which one) or is a new wire put in? Also, how do I hook up the lights for the new gauges? I have seen a diagram of the circuit board, but am a bit nervous about cutting the harness. Finally, I have a new gas gauge, but what wires do I connect to the new gauge? Once again this is a phantom gauge and I have a 67 camaro. Any suggestions would be appreciated and any pics of how you did this would be awesome.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 12, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: 5" Autometer Speedo/Tach install

For your speedo power you can just use the same line the tach is using. It should be a pink wire and all gauge power comes from it.

For lights, there is a gray wire that carries all your light power. You should be able to find it.

There should be a tan wire that is the fuel sending unit line. You also use pink power wire and ground.

If you don't have it, the $7 wiring diagram most suppliers carry is invaluable. I think it also exists in the Chilton's manual.

I emailed you a copy of the '69 schematics and most of it's the same.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 05:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

The wiring diagrams are right out of the AIM...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Andy

Thanks for the two inputs I finally got it figured out; however I was almost done and getting ready to screw the console into the dash when I noticed that one of the gauge light wires was to tight for me to seat the console properly so I cut the black wire and my console light went out. I rewired them and they would not come on and my engine would not turn on...When I turn the key to aux all my other lights come on, the radio comes on, the electric choke makes a noise, but when I turn the key all the way nothing.. Its almost as if my engine is not getting juice from the battery, but everything comes on.... Any suggestions on what to look at?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Andy

Should have added that my car is a 67 so it has a wire harness. Ive cut the two pink wires which is tied into my speedo to give it power. Ive cut the brown wire from the harness which I believe is the ground and the gray wire which I believe is the gauge illumination wire (this is what I had my new gauge light bulbs hooked up to and it was working). The brown and gray wire are currently just hanging in place not hooked up to anything because I can not figure out why my engine will not turn over. Any help would be appreciated.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Black is usually ground. The tach lead in my '68 is Brown... In a car w/o gauges, Brown is for the GEN warning light. Gray is instrument/dash lights. Pink is fused 12V.

Is the engine cranking over, but not starting? Also, if you are grounding the tach lead somehow, it will definitely cause issues (not start). If there is no ground to the tach, etc., the power will seek out a ground and will cause problems, as well.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Andy

No it is not cracking over. I turn the key and you can hear the electric choke and when the key is turned all the way nothing happens..no noise..nothing. I am sure that I some how killed the start circuit. For the tach wire I just cut the old wires to the previous tach and put female connectors on them to hook up the new tach... Ive got a red(12v), white (12V dash light ), black(ground), and green(tech terminal) is how the previous tach instructions had it set up. On my inst for the phantom I put the white on the lamp, red on the 12V, blk on the ground, green on the Sig. Dont see how this could be the problem if the previous tach worked.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 12, 08:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Yah, sounds like the tach is connected correctly. I was confused when you mentioned cutting the Brown wire which you believed to be ground...

Did you check the Gauges fuse (Pink wire power)? Where is the tach's Red wire getting power from?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode