American Autowire Underdash Harness Install - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 12, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

American Autowire Underdash Harness Install

I pulled my old harness of last night and will be installing a new underdash harness for my 67. I noticed it was pretty dirty up underneath the dash so I was gonna do a little cleaning before I put the new harness in (American Autowire stock replacement). Any tips for the install? These harness's are pretty easy to just plug back in, but anything I need to do? I know to be carefull around the guage cluster, but anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 12, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: American Autowire Underdash Harness Install

Lay both harnesses out on the floor and match them up for options/standard features.
Make sure everything is there as needed.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 04:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

I took the opportunity to "adjust" the AIM schematic to match what I have in my car. I scanned it into my computer and added color, as well. The AIM is a good reference for how things are run under the dash and out front. FYI, out back is a Fisher thing (not in the AIM). But it is very basic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I'm so glad that I replaced my harness (sarcasm). I got everything connected last night, plugged battery back in and my headlights don't work at all and my fuel guage light doesn't work. Any ideas what I could have done?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Headlamps - start at the radiator support and place a star washer under the terminal to get a good ground connection.
otherwise, headlamp switch - red wire is power in.
Brown is parking lights all around.
Light blue to dimmer switch from h/switch.
Light green and tan are high & low beam power from dimmer to h/lamps.

Fuel gauge light is gray wire from headlamp switch, or a loose bulb in the socket, or burnt filament of the same bulb.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

But if I didn't have a ground issue before than why would I have one now? The wiring to the dimmer switch, why would there be an issue with that if it's all new? The dimmer switch is old, but the wiring coming off the harness is new. I didn't have a wire that went into the back of the fuel gage, there was just one that went in above the guage cluster (the bulb for the red hi beam light) and also the larger plug that mounts to the back of the guage cluster (the fuel and speedometer guages). Was there a seperate wire that I plug in for the headlamps aside from the headlamp switch plug?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Ground wires are from every light socket, the black wire.
Dimmer switch could be bad if there is power going to it from h/lamp switch if h/lamp switch is pulled out. Other connection is at firewall connector.
Is there power on the incoming red wire from firewall connector from horn relay buss bar?
This red wire inside dash splits and goes to h/lampswitch and to ignition switch.
Fuel gauge wired into the cluster connector, tan wire from sending unit.
No separate wire other than those already in h/lamp connector.

'
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I have checked all the grounds a number of times. When you say other connection is at firewall connector are you referring to the front light harness on the engine side of the firewall? I am sure there is power coming from the horn relay bus bar. It was there before I removed the old harness. Do you happen to know what side up the plug that goes in to the backside of the fuel/speedometer cluster is when you plug it in to the cluster? One side of the plug is filled with all of the little copper metal pieces and the other side half of it is filled with the little copper pieces. Can the headlamp adapter be removed easily? It was really hard to get the headlamp plug into the headlamp adapter. I stuck my arm back up in there when I moved the adapter around with the headlamp knob pulled out the interior lights (the underdash lights) would go out. I am wondering if I just didnt get the headlight plug completely in to the adapter. Though if I coul remove I could make sure the plug was completely in. Oh, and now my sail panel lights don't work.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 09:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

I thought the instrument cluster plug was keyed and only goes in one way? Anyway, the Gray, Dark Green, and Tan wires go on top. I have factory gauges. So, it is a bit different. So, I could be wrong. I'm looking at a picture of the back of a non-gauges cluster. I do know this for sure, the three wires go on top, the 6 wires goes on the bottom...

As far as all the other issues, are you sure the fuse block is connected firmly/fully to the front harnesses? You may want to also check for good seating and proper alignment of the light switch connector. The under dash courtesy lights are kind of a pain. If they pop out and are grounded against the fixture, all sorts of bad things happen. Also, the door switch is involved with all those mentioned courtesy lights. I realize that the connector for those is in the rear harness. Hey, what about the connection of the under dash harness to the rear harness? Is that good? I kind of remember mine being REALLY stiff and hard to connect fully.?.?

To take the switch out of the panel, you have to remove the knob by pressing in a release button on the side of the switch itself and pulling out the knob. Then, the switch is held in place with a "nut" on the front. It is round and has a few notches in it for a tool to grab it. It is screwed on just like a normal nut.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 12, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I am hoping my issue is with the light switch connect. I felt around with it last night and if I touched it, the lights would flicker and actually I moved it a littled and it fell off. I am hoping that I just did not get in a straight and not all off the connections were made. I thought by pulling out the light switch connector that I could makre sure the harness was securely attached, however, I am concerned that if I remove the switch it will be a pia trying the screw it back on. I know trying to connect the switch to the adapter was a pain because you are doing it blind.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 12, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

You will find that if you take the switch out you can only plug it in for testing while out of the dash, providing you get a good ground. There isn't enough clearance for the plug to come through the dash opening for connection and then installing. When I did my rewire I had to deal with installing connector after I had already installed switch. Pain in the butt! The hardest part being getting the connector turned/cocked just right to slide over the connector pins. Once I got that lined out it wasn't too difficult to push it all the way on. Just hard to reach up in there and see what I was doing. Helps to put lighting sorce up over top of steering column and angle it to suit your needs. You can probably install the connector and then push the switch through the dash, but after I finally got mine in, I figured it's in and really didn't consider taking it back out to try it. If ever I do it again, I will deffinately try the latter method first. Actually, it's probably how most people do it. Good luck. Let us know how it's going.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 12, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Okay, so I feel kind of dumb after spending 3 hours blindly trying to connect the headlamp connector to the switch in the dash. I pulled out the knob and unscrewed the front of the switch and it came right out and bingo when I looked at it saw that I bent one of the points over which is why the front lights didn't come on. I bent it back straight and plugged it and an low and behold I have lights. The only thing that still doesn't work is my fuel gage light. Any thoughts on why only my fuel gage lighting doesn't work? A ground issue? Is there a bulb in it? I did wind up buying a new switch at Oreilly's do I am going to go ahead and replace the old one as it was in pretty bad shape.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Dash lights are accessible from the rear of the cluster.
You will have to lay on the floor and look up finding dash light sockets.
pull one out lefty - loosey, righty - tighty - and make sure the bulb is good, no broken filament, bulb is seated in the socket, and you might carefully bend up alittle the tangs for a better contact with the board on the back of the cluster.

'
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 12, 10:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Nice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode