Trouble installing fuel module - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 12, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
CHOPS

Trouble installing fuel module

I know there are a ton of posts on this and I read them all. My issue is I've got everything wired right with my new module, my fuel guage was reading 5/8 of a tank before I replaced it with a tach. That matches with the ohm reading I have going to my sending unit (reading 53ohms). The problem is at that high of an ohm reading it is triggering the ground (yellow) wire to switch the light to on. I sent back one module already for the same issue. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 12, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
CHOPS

Re: Trouble installing fuel module

I'm guessing it's fried because it won't under and circumstances allow the yellow wire to ground out. Are these things extremely sensitive or something?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 12, 05:04 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm going to assume you are speaking of an factory style low fuel warning light module? Also helpful to know what year as the modules are NOT interchangeable year to year. http://www.americanautowire.com/faq/?p=1024

OEM units had a light bulb socket in the module that should NEVER have a light bulb in it. If you do put one in it throws off the modules calibration and resistance settings. These OEM units fired off at 20 Ohms or less for a Camaro.

Replacement warning units do not have the socket and are made for various applications from Camaro, Corvette, Chevelle and Nova which all had different set points.

53 Ohms is over half a tank full so yeah it should not be activating if the set point on the module that is set to 20 Ohms. Maybe it is not a Camaro module? 20 Ohms is about at 1/4 tank to 1/8 tank which in the days of every corner being full service station, 1/8 of a tank was okay to warn you. Now that is not so helpful you would bone the tank dry long before you made it to a station.

The wires on some of the re-pop modules are very thin gauge and easy to break in the shielding maybe you have a flaky connection.

You can also increase the resistance across a stable working but incorrect module with a resistor from the Shack to bring the signal down to where you feel comfortable seeing the light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Feb 29th, 12 at 05:22 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
CHOPS

Huh, interesting. The module I got was from ebay and was supposed to be for a camaro. Like I said I think it's fried now (no clue why) because I can't get it to trigger a ground on the yellow wire no matter what I do. Are these things super sensitive or something?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 04:29 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

No not really but as with any electronics, quality control in the manufacturing process proves out how long a device will function. No names vender on eBay or a real vendor? Sure it was for your year? Remember each year was a bit different. Since you still have not said your year I'm assuming '69 since that is what I have.

You would need to put a resistance load over the green sender wire in order to get the yellow to ground and power up the light. So you could bench test it with a potentialmeter from Radio Shack zero to 100 ohms (90 is the highest a factory tank sender will send)

If you are sure its fried I would purchase one from Ricks or Lectric Limited.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode