67 RS Headlight doors wont close - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Loreto

67 RS Headlight doors wont close

My RS headlights randomly stopped opening and closing. After some cursing and testing I found I had no power on orange wiring from circuit breaker. I changed the breaker and boom ! doors were opening and closing again. After my celebratory beer and few open and closing cycles they stopped closing again. . The headlights turn off but the doors wont close. Another thing, I now hear the circuit breaker tripping with ignition on and headlight switch off. No tripping if HL switch on. If I unplug relay # 2, the breaker stop tripping but doors dont close. I tried changing out the relay but the issue remains.
Does anyone have any idea where to begin looking? Where do the wires from relay # 2 lead? Could it be one of the limit switches causing the tripping? Bad ground? Short somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 08:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Re: 67 RS Headlight doors wont close

Check all the grounds
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech

I have lived this nightmare more than once. Sometimes the problem isn't the electrical side of the equation at all, itís the mechanical side.
Check your clutch pack(s). If they are not tightened down just right, they can give the same symptoms as an electrical problem.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 12, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

Do play around with the limit switches. Sometimes they are not getting enough pressure from the door assembly to complete the the electrical circuit. This can happen in either the open or closed position. Slightly push in on the door assembly toward the radiator support and see if it makes a difference. But don't limit yourself to just one limit switch. Check all four. It is best if you have someone help you. One person turning the lights on and off while the other does the pressing around the limit switches. It probably wouldn't hurt to also check for dirt/dust that might be built up on the button of the limit switches. A friend was having this trouble once and we finally cleaned the button areas and put a slight amount of die-electric grease on the buttons and worked them in and out several times. They started working again and still are. RS doors are very sensitive. Keep us posted.

J.R.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 12, 06:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I had the problem with one that would open and not close. It was the ground wire on the switch on the radiator support. I removed the switches and removed some of the paint for a better ground. Now it works fine. Check all your ground wires and add star washers so when you tighten the ground it will dig into the paint.

I had some aligator clip wires and just added them to the ground wires to try and find the problem. Just do one at a time and see if it is a ground wire.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 12, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Loreto

Thanks everyone,
I’m at work right now but I will definitely try all of your suggestions when I get home this evening. It’s crazy how they can work one minute and even though the car wasn't moved they just stopped working. Is there anything under the dash I need to look at? I don’t think so because the ignition/headlight switches seem to doing their job by sending/stopping power appropriately. I’ll make sure to post my progress.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Loreto

so... I checked and re-did all the grounds. I changed the 2 limit switches on rad support. I swapped out the 3 relays but still had the same issue. If I tapped relay 2 with a screwdriver the doors closed. This told me somewhere was loose and I found a few frayed wires on some of the connectors going to relay 2 and 3. I cut and reattached new connectors. This seemed to have worked because doors closed. No sooner that I said job well done and was patting myself on my back they stopped closing after 5 or 6 closures (grrrr) . I left it alone for a few hours and when I came back the darn things worked and are still working. I think had a short somewhere/sometime because when I stripped the wires to attached new connectors I found the wire strands very dark and not a nice copper color. If the doors stop working again I think Im going to order a new harness because this 40+ old hardness has seen better days. your thoughts ?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 11:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

I had same problem so I pulled both doors and buckets out, cleaned them up, gave them a coat of paint, put new motors and changed all four limit switches, greased up all moving parts and presto! they worked great for about 6 tries then one would stay closed. I starting pulling my hair out then noticed the right door was just catching on the grill, when I tapped it it would close so after adjusting the doors they now work fine. For how long is anyones guess? My problems all started with a bad ground wire. So if you've checked all grounds and connections and are satisfied with the wiring it's probably gonna be mechanical as some one else suggested. I'd be checking that their not catching any where and that the washers on the arm are not rusty/dirty. Pull them apart and give them a good clean and a light grease. I used Vasoline. Good luck and post your results.
Cheers

]

What's a mid life crisis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 SS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Loreto

OK I took apart each headlight assembly and greased all moving parts. Hooked up the wiring and again I had the circuit breaker tripping. I started disconnecting relays to determine if any of the relays were the causeand found relay 2 was the cause. I changed our relay 2 but it didnt resolve anything. I decided to also change out relay 3 and doors closed. I recall I had tried to change relay 3 on its own earlier in my troubleshooting steps and it didnt resolve the issue but changing out both relay 2 and 3 resolved the issue.... not sure why but they seem to be working fine. Hopefully they stay that way. thanks everyone for your suggestions & assistance.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 12, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
BARTELL

I was reconnecting my battery and accidentally touched the neg and pos with the wrench and sparked it. Now headlight doors will close, but they wont open when headlights turned on. Maybe shorted out a relay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode