Weird wiring issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 12, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
rambojohnj

Weird wiring issue

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. I have consumed alot of information from you guys and greatly appreciate it. I recently had some body work done on my 69. Namely a trunk, leaf springs,fuel tank, sending unit and some undercoating.When I took the car in, all of my tail lights, brake lights and running lights worked fine. After getting the car home, none of the rear lights work at all. Today, i noticed that even when the car is off without the keys in it, the front marker lights are on. When I put the key in the ignition and turn on the head light switch, all of the marker lights turn off and, I still have no rear lights at all. I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some pointers as to where to begin. I have never been good at the whole wiring thing and would appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 12, 10:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: weird wiring issue

Start with the ground in the rear, sounds like it was disconnected or not cleaned when reinstalled. In the front you might start with the same and also get a test light and find out where the side markers are getting power.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 12:14 AM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

I agree with larryh56. Your marker lights are getting positive voltage from somewhere when they shouldn't. Recheck and make sure grounds are cleaned to the metal and/or connected. Possibly the grounds were left off or re-installed after they did the undercoating you mentioned.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 04:21 AM
Guess

Is it possible they disconnected the tail harness? It has a disconnect somewhere above the drivers side wheel tubs... on the outside of the trunk hinge bracket along the quarter panel. Follow the harness towards the rear seat and see what you find.
The ground for the tail harness screws to the side of the trunk latch bracketry. Make sure the connection is metal-to-metal.
Is it running? If they didn't connect that ground, they probably didn't connect the fuel sender ground under the trunk pan or the fuel sender\license plate light connectors to the tail harness either. They plug together at the harness, but come through the trunk pan through separate holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
rambojohnj

Thanks alot folks! It was indeed the ground in the trunk. I am going to crawl underneath the car tonight to make sure the ground for the sending unit is good to go but, it seems to be working fine. Thanks again!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Weird wiring issue

This is a consistant bit of info posted many times over many yrs
Weird electrical things happen check grounds
After any paint/ body work ANY grounds should have NEW star washers and preferbly stainless steel ones
Star washers are NOT to stop things coming undon...spring washers do that
Star washers...new unused star washers have sharp bits sticking up designed to cut thru paint.
Moden paints are harder than technology 40yrs ago, even 20yrs ago....hence the suggestion to use harder stainless star washers.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 01:07 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Glad it was an easy fix... If you don't mind, I'd like to suggest that any time you take your car somewhere to have it worked on and it comes back and something like this isn't working you immediately take it back. First it brings up the lack of attention to details at the shop and hopefully they want to make it right. Second the guy working on the car knows what he did and can probably go back over his steps and resolve the issue in a matter of moments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubakon View Post
Thanks alot folks! It was indeed the ground in the trunk. I am going to crawl underneath the car tonight to make sure the ground for the sending unit is good to go but, it seems to be working fine. Thanks again!

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode