1994 Z28 will not start - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

1994 Z28 will not start

Hi all,

I have a 94 z28 auto transmission that will not start.

It's not my daily driver so it sits most of the time but I do start it up once a week and drive it down the freeway and back.

A couple of months ago now, I drove it down to Auto Zone to drop off a problem battery from my Tahoe and have them test it. I left and ran some errands and my camaro ended up dieing on me.

I had stopped by Jamba Juice and when I turned it off, the stereo turned off as well, which is unusual because it shouldn't do that until I open the door. I ignored it for the moment and when I came back out to leave, it wouldn't turn on. No lights, no bells or chimes, no stereo, no clicking, nothing. Absolute silence.

I assumed the battery must have completely died, so I had a friend come by to try jumping it but it still would not start. We took the battery out there and went to Auto Zone to have them test it, which they said was fine and 65% charged. That should have given me lights or SOMETHING, but I got nothing. I also had them test the alternator and they said it was fine, but they couldn't test the starter for some stupid reason. Meanwhile, the Tahoe's battery was bad, so they gave me a new one, which I took back to my stranded Camaro and put it in. It started! I drove it home and assumed everything was fine, and took the Camaro's 65% charged battery and put it in my Tahoe, which also started fine. The next day though, the Camaro wouldn't start. I pulled the battery, took it to Auto Zone and they said it was good and 87% charged.

So, basically, it seems to be something other than a battery issue. I talked to my dad who has worked on cars his whole life and he seems to think it's a fusible link but he hasn't been able to come by to look at it himself yet.

In summary:

- Camaro wouldn't start
- No lights, stereo, clicking, nothing, complete silence when turning the key
- Battery was tested good at 65% charge (installed in my Tahoe, started fine)
- Alternator tested good, starter not tested
- Replaced with a brand new battery and it started but would not start the next day, complete silence like before
- Brand new battery was tested good at 87% charge

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it... My dad seems to have considered many options before arriving at the fusible link possibility, but it's possible he may not have thought of some other things. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 12, 10:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: 1994 Z28 will not start

Hey, have you checked the battery cables? Make sure your ground is good and you've got full voltage at the starter, and at the junction block (wherever it may be).

Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 12, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1994 Z28 will not start

As Steve suggests, check/wire brush the cables at both ends.
The starter solenoid stud has a collection of fusible links along with the positive battery cable.
These terminals are notorious for corroding and giving the symptoms you listed.
Might try there before Dad comes over.
Look into the battery terminal also, they corrode as well. A small wire brush is needed.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode