Auto Meter 2" gauges installation question. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 12, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Auto Meter 2" gauges installation question.

I have the 2" gauge set from Auto Meter with Oil pressure, amps and water temp and on the back of each gauge is a red & black wire. I tried to follow the instructions that came with the gauges but have to admit that they make no damn sense to me. Its not because I don't understand them....their illustrations are nothing close to the gauges I have.

Anyway...can someone tell me where I run the red & black wires to coming from the back of the water temp, oil & volt gauges? Thanks.

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Auto Meter 2" gauges installation question.

What part number and is it a volt gauge or amp gauge? You call it both. One is a no-no. Mechanical or electrical sending units?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

THanks for the reply. The part # is 2393 and it has oil/AMPS/water temp and they are mechanical. If they are mechanical do I need to hook up the red/black wires for the water temp? I'm guessing I do for the AMP meter but have no idea how to run the wires. I'm going to purchase an electric meter for the Oil unit as I'm not too excited about having hot oil run inside my car.

Murhpy's law clearly states "if things can go wrong they will at the worst possible time."

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The AutoMeter braided stainless oil line is great. No worries about the line splitting.
If it's a true ammeter I would not hook it up. That runs full system current through the car and meter. Unless you fuse each end they are a fire risk. You can replace it with a voltmeter. The factory gauge was really a millivolt meter that just used an amp display.

The oil meter uses a tube, the water temp gauge just uses the attached Bourdon tube and it screws into the head or intake.

How many pairs of wires does it have on the back? The lights on Autometers are usually a white and black pair. The red and black may be the ammeter leads.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

+1^^ on what Steiner posted.

If they are mechanical gauges, the oil and water temp should only have leads for the light.

Mike

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 07:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

And like Steiner said they usually have a bulb that plugs into the back of the guage with a black and white wire attached to the light only.

But since they are Autogage brand maybe the lights have a red and black. What color wires are on the lights.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

That would make sense if the red/black wires are for the gauge lights but what do I hook the red wire to and what to I hook the black wire to? The oil gauge on this particular set has the plastic tube...guess Ill look into AUto Meter's braided oil line. Nothing sexier than braided steel line. Well....maybe Jessica Simpson in a black nighty but thats about it.

MLK
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

The wires for the bulbs should be coming directly from the bulbs. The black is the ground, connect them all together and run a wire to a ground on the dash. The other color, if red or white, would go to an existing dash light. You can connect them all together too and run a single wire to the source.

Mike

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddean View Post
Nothing sexier than braided steel line. Well....maybe Jessica Simpson in a black nighty but thats about it.

Ewwww.....she done got a bun in the oven.

Dash light power is the gray wire in your main plug to the instrument panel.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

WOuld I run the red wire to a fuse on the fuse panel?

MLK
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

IF and that's a big IF the red wire is indeed the power for the lights you'd connect it to the gray wire I mentioned one post up. You can ground the black wire and run a temp line from the red to a hot point on the fuse block to test (there should be some spades there, BATT is always hot, the others are ACC hot with key on, and IGN hot with key in RUN and START). If it's the lights, it'll light up immediately. If it's the amp gauge nothing should happen.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Thanks for the help guys. She's up and running!!

MLK
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddean View Post
Thanks for the help guys. She's up and running!!
Sweet!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode