LED's '67 dash carrier - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage
LED's '67 dash carrier

Hey guys, Thinking about leds for only the backlite part of the dash instruments. I have the chassis service manual and the aim, but one shows that I need three bulbs and the other shows four. Can anybody confirm how many, so I don't have to pull the assembly back out. Seems like I remember 4 when I last had it out. And also, what color bulbs do you think would look the best. I will go with either cool white or green lighting. I have read about leds and have seen pictures of leds in '69 models, but I haven't found or seen pictures concerning leds in a '67. I plan to match the gauges and console shift indicator areas with whatever color I end up with, but will leave the dome & courtesy lights white. Also, I plan to leave the flasher, idiot lights, etc. alone. If anyone has a picture of either a 67 or 68 with leds and can post them, it would be great. Thanks for any ideas or opinions you have to offer. J.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 12, 09:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: LED's '67 dash carrier

Eric used green. Check here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=204459

Looks like both '67 and '68 clusters use 4 bulbs for illumination.

You can usually just reach up in there (no, it's not easy) and replace the bulbs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 12, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I don't have any knowledge of '67/'68 dash carrier light set ups,so I'm not sure on the color. I do remember reading a post from someone who put LEDS in a '67 dash saying they don't let as much light through as a'69 and to use a 9-13 count LED bulb and said there is plenty of room for a bigger LED. FWIW I wish I could find that post.

'69 Camaro, w/'67 L30 327 .030, L79 cam, 700DP, M20, 3.73 12 Bolt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 12, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

I have been searching the web and there are a lot of different companies with their version of bulbs and I do like the green tint in Eric's ride. I need to pull the bulbs out of my aftermarket Sun gauges and tach to see whatnumber they are and see if they are also offered in green. If not, I guess I will have to go white. I was hoping to get as wide angle emitting bulb that I can to help flood the entire housing. I read somewhere that some (don't know brand/brands) colored bulbs eventually loose their color or coating. I don't understand this due to the led bulbs not getting hot. Once I get this all sorted out, I'll take a stab at replacing park/brake/flashers exterior bulbs. Anyways, thanks for your thoughts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 12, 07:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

Check out that link to SuperbrightLEDs in the link above. They have bulbs in various brightnesses, colors, and angles of projection. You should find something that fits your requirements. But you are right, not all bulbs come in all colors...

As far as losing their colors, I think that is impossible. The color is based on it's frequency, not a coating... That is, unless it is an LED INSIDE of a colored "lens".

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 12, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Just measure the space that you have around the bulbs that you are using. I used a small steel ruler that measured in millimeters so I could get an accurate comparison to their specs. I liked using the Superbrights vehicle bulb finder, and then go for the biggest one that you can be sure will fit. You will be surprised at how much extra space you have in some of your socket areas. Most of the 194/168 replacement LEDS are about the same width as your glass bulbs,12-15 mm, you just need to know how much length you can get away with. For any type of instrumentation go for the 360 degree viewing angle bulb,or it probably won't turn out the way that you want it to. I used green because '69s are supposed to have green dash lighting. And like cb said "its a frequency not a coating"

'69 Camaro, w/'67 L30 327 .030, L79 cam, 700DP, M20, 3.73 12 Bolt

Last edited by L30 327; Mar 12th, 12 at 05:50 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 12, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

I've been tied up helping son so I will take the housing out tomorrow hopefully and start measuring. All my current lights are white so maybe I should just stay with white. I'll purchase 360 degree bulbs or the widest degree possible for each application. Thanks for your help on this issue.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 12:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

The 67 cluster requires two bulbs to light up the main gauges! The others are just your indicator lights and do not require much in the way of brightness to operate. The two main gauges however require a brighter bulb 13-15 white. This is definatley required if you are going with blue leds. (get the 18-24)

The main gauges faceplates do not allow as much light through as the 69 gauges for some reason so higher number of leds is better! There is plenty of room for the two main bulbs that light the instrument cluster. Do not be concerned on the length or width even the 24 led will fit without problems.

i run 2x 18 blues in mine for the main cluster and the others are all 3s.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

Thanks for the heads up on bulb recommendations. I just placed a parts order for other items and now need to consentrate on choosing the bulbs I need. As recommended earlier, superbrights looks like a good place to deal with, especially since they have a large assortment of bulbs. Their vehicle bulb finder is great to help narrow them down. I've been fighting with my wiper pump, trying to get it to spray and just seen water running down between the firewall and the back of the motor. Don't know what thats all about! YET!! Oh well, I have been up now for 42 hours helping son and then working on Camaro. Time to hit the shower and catch a power nap. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode