Warning lights versus gauges? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Garage
Warning lights versus gauges?

I am about to buy new AAW wiring harnesses for my engine compartment. There are several splices and a few missing connectors, etc. Basically it is showing it's age and I want a new fresh look.

(Sometime down the road I plan to install a gauge package in the floor console and put a factory tach in the dash.)

I want to go ahead install a new engine harness and front headlight harness now. Since I currently have warning lights, will it be necessaryto get the warning light harness or can I go ahead and get the gauge harness?

I looked at the AIM and I couldn't see any differences in the wiring diagram. Obviously I am missing something or there wouldn't be two diffrent harnesses to pick from.

Thanks.

Dan

There are only so many days in your life...So get out and drive your Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Warning lights versus gauges?

On the engine side there's not a huge difference. Inside the car however a gauge pack car does not have wires running to the dummy lights.

If you went with the non-gauge harness now all you'd have to do once you put in gauges would be:
-Run two wires for the amp gauge (really a volt gauge)
-Install new coolant temp sensor and run the wire to the gauge instead of dummy light
-Remove the oil sensor switch, safety the wire, and instead install the tube for the gauge.

The wiring is so easy I wouldn't even bother with a new dash harness. Tach only needs power and ground jumpered from the fuel gauge using a little wire and a couple female spades and then the coil feed.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Garage

Steiner,

Thanks for the reply. You went a bit over my head, but I'm sure it'll be clearer once I dig into this project.

Dan

There are only so many days in your life...So get out and drive your Camaro.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 12:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

If running an oil pressure guage it sure can't hurt to wire up a warning light too. I've been meaning to do so for over 40 years but I run a BBC. Why bother?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 01:44 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
If running an oil pressure guage it sure can't hurt to wire up a warning light too. I've been meaning to do so for over 40 years but I run a BBC. Why bother?
True enough Fred - why put a warning light on a boat anchor?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 05:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
True enough Fred - why put a warning light on a boat anchor?
LOL!!! NOW IT STARTS.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Oh crap.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I have both warning lights and gauge clusters for oil and Temp
Temp
The std temp..either went to the left head or by the thermostat....which doesnt matter.
I have the temp gauge connected to the varable restitor sensor in the valley cover next to the thermstat housing...runing the wire under the top hose.
The warning light to a on /off sensor in the head.

Oil
I have a 'T' just behind the dizzy where the oil light and or oil line to the oil gauge scrws into the block....off the T is the on /off sensor for the oil light and the capiary tube for the oil pressure gauge.

Warning lights come on, gets ones attention immediately if something goes wrong...Red Light Stop right?
With gauges, something goes wrong...well one doesnt watch them all the time on a trip..AND if getting up around 130mph or hammering thru a winding road one doent get time to read gauges.

Quote:
Since I currently have warning lights, will it be necessaryto get the warning light harness or can I go ahead and get the gauge harness?
The factory loom under the dash, be it a gauge cluster car or not, has built into it where one can hook the gauge cluster loom straight in....think they did that to make things easier on the production lines???

I have only fitted the cluster gauges in once and a friends car...the gauge cluster from Classics think they came from , came with the requires loom AND full wiring diagrams.
The only real tricky bit was a new wire for the ameter from the cluster..from memory , to the battery... and sorting the grounds behind the cluster.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode