New rear tailight socket - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

New rear tailight socket

I have a new light bulb socket pig tail for my 1969 Camaro. The current one has a bad wire at the socket. It only has 2 wires as do the other sockets. My new one has 3 a brown, a black, like the orginal, but also has a yellow one, that I do not know where it goes. Do I just cut off the yellow one. Thanks, Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 08:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Send a message via Yahoo to cadmanof50s
Re: New rear tailight socket

Jerod,

look into the new lamp socket itself. Make sure it looks exactly like the one you are replacing. If there are three wires going into the new lamp socket, and yours has only two, chances are the internals of the sockets are different. That means it may use different bulbs and most likely not compatible with the bulbs you are supposed to be using.

Vic

Vic Brincat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 12, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

I looked at the current one, there is one wire going into the bottom middle of the socket, and one that goes into the outside area where the bump is. Both sockets have the correct color wire as the new one, except the new one has a yellow wire also going into the bottom next to the other. I looked and cannot find any info on this. It locks/turns into the tailight housing and looks just like the orgianl, except for the yellow wire. Thanks, Jerod

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 02:46 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Is your car an RS?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 04:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

So at the bottom of the socket looking in, there are two metal strips. And your original only has one?

If that's the case this socket won't work. This is designed for a different application.

My tailight sockets have two wires going to it. One wire is the running light and the other is the brake/turn light. The ground is recieved throught metal tabs at the side of the of the socket through the taillight housing. When I look into the socket I see two metal strips at teh bottom.

Two things to keep in mind, and quite frankly this could make a difference...my car is an RS and it is a 68 not 69.
Regardless, the first note holds true. The inside of the sockets should look the same as the original or you will end up with a short or all kinds of other strange electrical problems.

Vic

Vic Brincat

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Correct, there are two metal tabs, one goes directly into the bottom of the socket, and the other wires also goes thru the bottom, but on the out side lip. The light works just that one of the clips and wire has some play in it. Can I just put a new clip in there, if so how, never done it before. Thanks, Jerod
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

I'm sorry Jerod, but I'm not understanding your description.
I have attached a couple of pics from my taillight socket. This may help the conversation.

Notice that there are two metal strips inside the socket. Also notice that there is a metal ring on with two tabs opposite each other. The metal ring with the tabs is the ground.

On the light bulb the two metal round contacts will line-up with the two metal strips at the bottom of the socket. The ring will be used to retain the light bulbs by it's pins and act as ground through the tailight housing.

This is the original traillight socket allowing running lights as well as brake/turn signal to be accomplished from the same bulb.

There is not really much variation that can occur.. I can't imagine where and what the third wire is doing unless it is a auxillary ground wire. Put there just in case you need to get ground from somewhere other than the tailight housing itself.

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	27526   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	27527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	27528  

Vic Brincat

Last edited by cadmanof50s; Mar 15th, 12 at 06:17 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 11:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker

I'm pretty sure 69s use a ground wire. So, the Turn/Brake lights with two filiments will have 3 wires... But it sounds like you are replacing the inner socket which is running light only, no Turn/Brake. Therefore, you will have to find a new socket that has the Brown and Black wires only... The bulb and inside of socket where bulb sits will both have a single contact.

'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 12, 05:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Thanks for the input and clarification, cb.
As I mentioned in my original response, may answer was based on a 68 RS.

Vic

Vic Brincat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode