Right side turn signals and flashers not working - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Tim

Right side turn signals and flashers not working

I replaced all the bulbs in the front and rear wiring harnesses and replaced both rear brake/turn signal sockets in my 68. Headlights, markers, tailights all come on when light switch is on. Both tail lights become brighter when brakes are applied. Left turn signal works both front and back, as do flashers. Left turn signal dash light indicator also works. However, right side front and back don't flash and the right side dash turn signal indicator does not come on at all when flashers on or right turn signal applied. Test light works when applied at all sockets. If the dash light turn signal indicator doesn't come on (blown bulb?), does that affect the turn signals in the front and rear? What am I missing? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 12, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Right side turn signals and flashers not working

Yes, not having the indicator light will make turn signals faulty.
Only happens when using a 512 flasher, the short one.
Try a 552 heavy duty unit, long one and turn signals will more than likely work.
Still need a bulb for the indicator unless its socket is not making good contact on the back of the cluster.
Might pull the socket with bulb out and check bulb and maybe pull up lightly on the copper tabs of the socket and reassemble and test.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Send a message via Yahoo to cadmanof50s

Along with everything Everett mention, check that the actual bulbs have been installed correctly.

Dual element bulbs such as the ones in the tail lights/turn signals only go into their socket one way. I can't tell you how many times I have seen these bulbs forced into the socket the wrong way. This will cause frustrating problems like shorts, weird behaviour (similar to yours) and countless other problems..

Vic

Vic Brincat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Tim

Thanks for the advice guys. I replaced the bulbs in the circuit board. The right turn signal indicator was a bit corroded so I cleaned it and lifted the tabs. Still no turn signal indicator and no turn signal to the right. Lights come on and stay on. However, everything works with flashers on, exceptthe turn signal indicator. I think maybe the circuit board needs replaced. With that minor corrosion in there, it may have gotten wet at some point and could be shot on the right side? I will also try the heavy duty flasher. Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 06:51 AM
Retired
Jim

double check your grounds at all the locations... just in case... grounds are the #1 problem with the elec. issues we see in here

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might check the dark blue wire in the cluster connector during rt hand turn for indicator.
No turn indicator power, check column connector.
You might even jumper power to the indicator to test for turn signal.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 12, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Tim

Thanks for all the feedback! I replaced the circuit board , flasher, and ran new ground wires. The sockets were a little touchy. They had to be just right on the circuit board. All lighting is working properly insode and out! Thanks again for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode