Starter solenoid question. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Starter solenoid question.

The solenoid went out on my 67 Camaro....at least I think its the solenoid as the battery tested fine. I drove the car yesterday, parked it, then tried to start it again about 10 minutes later and nothing so I'm guessing either solenoid or starter. I'm going with the solenoid first as it's the cheapest.

Anyway...I'm headed to Autozone to pick up a solenoid and would like to ask the experts here about the difference between brands. Autozone has a regular solenoid, did not have a brand name attached to it, for $18.00. They also have an Accel solenoid for $40.00. IS there that much difference in solenoids? WIll the Accel perform any better or last longer than the cheaper one?

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Starter solenoid question.

They will both "perform" and do the job.....and I always try to remember that in most cases you get what you pay for.....

Remember, the solenoid is exposed to alot of heat, the Accel one is probably made better, with better materials, wire, case, etc....and will probably last longer, and "perform" for a longer period of time....

Just my two cents worth......
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 01:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Starter solenoid question.

"Hot Start" issues with GM starter solenoid wiring is an 'age-old' problem.
The voltage needed to activate the solenoid coil is reduced below the 'pull-in' point of the coil due to heat and bad/poor connections in the circuit from the ignition key to the solenoid "S" terminal to the point the vehicle will not start until the system cools to the point the resistance is reduced ...
Checking, cleaning and repairing any poor connections will help immensely to assure there is enough voltage to activate the solenoid coil - but a bad solenoid can also have excess resistance through the coil contributing to the problem.
Replacing the solenoid will often give you a short term result, and further efforts to increase the electrical circuit function may be needed in the future ...

Don't confuse this issue with the 'Hard/Slow-Crank' issue many engines can exhibit if the timing is advanced above the 'norm' settings

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

The timing is 10 BTDC eland dwell is at 28 so advanced timing should not be an issue. I also put a new heat blanket over the starter/solenoid to try and prolong the life of the solenoid. The solenoid is about 3 years old and was one of those $18 Auto Zone parts. I think I'll go with the Accel and see what happens.

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Check that battery. Last week, someone went thru the exact same scenario, convinced it was the starter when it was the battery.

alan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 12, 04:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

1st Battery...get it load checked...
2nd clean all battery, ground and starter connections.
3rd very basic starter /soldenoid check...and old scewdriver across terminals on the starter...couple activate the soldenoid, and other couple spin up the starter....old screw driver because there are some good sized currents and wrecks the screw driver.
4th Check alternator is charging the battery right up.
These basic steps determine what is wrong and where to spend money...takes the hit and miss, end up spending heaps, replacing everything out of the equation..when it might just be a dirty terminal or battery failure.
And as Alan says
Quote:
Last week, someone went thru the exact same scenario, convinced it was the starter when it was the battery
check that thread out.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode