Installing original tach into a 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

Installing original tach into a 68

I know this topic has been beat to death. I have searched several pages and cant seem to find my answers. Let me tell you what I have and what I plan to do.
68 Camaro factory automatic with a console that I believe was without guages. It does have the floor console harness plug under the dash. Thats a plus! I am only using the grey wire from it for aftermarket guage lights. I'm not using the console anymore.
I am installing an original 68 tach and speedo from another car I owned years ago. Glad I kept the tach. Not to concerned with the warning lights or the clock in it to work.

1. What terminal # on the instrument carrier plug that is numbered, would the tach signal go into?
Using a msd digital 6 box and will be pulling signal from this box to tach. Just need to know what terminal on the plug.

2.Would my ground, tach signal and ignition wires already be in this plug even though it was'nt a factory tach car? If so, what number on the plug are they? If the tach wire is not in the plug does someone make the brass/copper connector that the wire connects to inside the plastic plug?

3. Does anyone have a diagram that shows the plug that plugs into the dash carrier? I use to have one that I got from here but that computer is long gone. It showed in detail what each wire goes to. I believe thats a 12 wire connector.
Thanks in advance for your help!

68 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Installing original tach into a 68

Brown wire, position 2 for Tach.

Power is from Pink wire. Ground is through cluster housing. If you get the correct circuit board, the power will get to the Tach.

Look at this thread for a "schematic" of the circuit board. You can figure out the connector from there... I do have pictures of the connector itself. But I haven't uploaded them to Photobucket.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=206127

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 12, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

Thanks very much for your time!!! Thats what I need.

68 RS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 12, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

Just looked at my plug and I have 2 green wires comming out of terminal number 2. Would these have been for temp warning on the original cluster board? I dont have it to compare.

68 RS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 12, 03:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Dark Green is for TEMP warning light w/o gauges (You are correct). I'm not sure why there would be 2 wires to the same terminal.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 12, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

Thanks. Im not sure either. The plug hasnt been in the instrument carrier for years. Actually taking out 5" autometers and installing original stuff for a change.
Thanks for your assistance!

68 RS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 12, 07:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Cool. No problem.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 12, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Just finished the conversion on mine and there are two green wires coming out of number 2.

If you look at the back of the circuit board, you can trace everything to see what wires do what. That was easier for me than looking at the wiring diagram. Just depends on what you prefer.

68 Camaro RS/SS 540/660 4-Speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode