Just finishing AAW kit..how do I wire fuel pump relay? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 12, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Just finishing AAW kit..how do I wire fuel pump relay?

I have the blue 10 gauge wire coming out of the AAW harness then extended back to the trunk. Haven't bought a relay yet cause I don't know what to get or how to wire it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pump is Mallory 140.

Thank you,

Donnie

68 Camaro - 540 HP AFR 412 CI, TH350 full manual, 3500 stall, 3.36 yukon gears/axles, 8.2" eaton posi, 17 inch Intro's. Jet black. Hotchkis sways, 3 in drop leafs/springs/bilsteins, G MOD, C5/4th gen brakes. 11.89 @ 119//2.01 60 ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 08:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Just finishing AAW kit..how do I wire fuel pump relay?

Since that wire isn't original, we need more information. Where does the Blue wire come from? A fused 12V source? What size is the fuse? Is it on it's own circuit? Did they give you more wires for this application, as well (wires to a relay, switch, ground(s), etc.)?

Usually, the relay is wired as follows:
1 wire from fused (can be a small fuse) 12V source to the switch or from IGN power
1 wire from the switch to the relay (not needed if using IGN power directly to relay)
1 wire from relay for switch/IGN ground
1 wire with inline fuse of larger value from BAT to the relay as power for the pump
1 wire from relay to pump
1 wire from pump to ground

Most relays have a schematic printed right on them. So, you should be able to figure out what wire goes where... As far as the power fuse size, check the specs for the pump and pick the next size up. You can also do that for the relay itself... But first you need to figure out what that Blue wire is/does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 12, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

I will call AAW tomorrow and find out.

Thank you so much,

Donnie

The wire comes right out of the fuse box, they included 10 gauge wire specifically for that and the electric fan and they have their own circuits. No more wires for this application but I have tons of extra left over from the parts of the kit that weren't used for my application.

The fuse should be more than adequate because it's a well designed kit, everything has been great so far and the wife is labeled for 'electric fuel pump'.

68 Camaro - 540 HP AFR 412 CI, TH350 full manual, 3500 stall, 3.36 yukon gears/axles, 8.2" eaton posi, 17 inch Intro's. Jet black. Hotchkis sways, 3 in drop leafs/springs/bilsteins, G MOD, C5/4th gen brakes. 11.89 @ 119//2.01 60 ft

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 12, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I read it as this fuse panel is not of original design and believe the power would come from a large ign switch controlled power relay to power the acessories.

Adding to CB's suggestion, the return/ground wire should be of the same wire gauge as the supply wire powering the device, example, 10 AWG power in, 10 AWG ground wire.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 12, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Everett,

The fuse panel is AAW's not OEM. Blade style with circuits for pwr accessories and all.

However, I believe that the fuel pump circuit does NOT include a relay. Will call AAW a little later this afternoon.

The 'return/ground' wire??

Do you mean the ground wire that comes off of the fuel pump itself or another separate ground wire that will come off of the relay after I figure out which one to get?

Thank you,

Donnie

Edit: They include about a 3 ft length of 10 gauge wire with a spade type terminal on the end..you just plug it directly into a 6 way power connector that is hanging up under the dash (with 4-5 more 10 gauge terminals open for use)..line the blue up with the blue when you plug it in.

That is supposed to be the wire that's for the electric fuel pump. The tech on the phone said that most people just extend that wire back to the truck with 10 gauge wire then add their own relay.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 12, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Might want to consider a "fuel cut-off crash relay":
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CR-92

Ed

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 12, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Don,
Yes, the ground wire from the fuel pump should be of the same wire gauge as the supply wire.
I believe the AAW panel is a power distribution fuse panel. You will need to supply a relay and wire the coil to the ign switch (low current draw) energizing the relay when ign switch is ON and use the present 10 GA blue wire for pump power.
You're welcome, Everett

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 12, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Everett,

The wire that comes out of the fuse panel is hot when the ignition is in the on position. So, I'll run that wire to one of the spades on the relay?

Then, run a ground to one of them?

Then a constant hot to another spade and one more to a switch up in the front THEN to ground?

Is there 4 or 5 spades/wires that will be used out of the relay?

I'll post a picture of the relay here tonight when I get home. (I left all the wires and fused wire hanging out of the relay stripped on the ends)

Thanks again,

Donnie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 12, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You have the right idea.
The ign on wire would go to a coil terminal.
The other side of the coil would go to ground.
The C, common, terminal would get battery power, no ign power.
The NO, normally open spade would get a 10 or 12 GA wire to the fuel pump.
The other side of the fuel pump would get a 10 or 12 GA wire to ground.
The pump instructions will tell you the wire getting battery power and ground.
Some relays come with an internal diode across the coil for the purpose of reducing the voltage spikes when ign power is turned off, this is the collapsing field.
The internal diode relay will show a POS sign to the spade getting ign power.
If relay does not have a diode and you want to add one, the coil would hook up the same, add the diode with the line/ring side of the diode onto the ground spade of the coil.

'
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 12, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Thank you, I'll make sure I get a relay with an internal diode.

Going to try and go with the 30 amp relay kit from summit. This one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890023/

I don't have the fuel pump instructions but it's a red and a black coming straight out of the pump so pretty self explanatory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode