temp. gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 12, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
jackie

temp. gauge

1969 original z-28--although the motor is now a gm crate small block.--while driving, the temp. gauge quit working. after investigating, i found the voltage regulater had stuck , melting the alternator wire. after replacing alternater. regulater and cleaning up battery acid and repainting a couple of places, the temp. gauge still doesn't work. i replaced the sending unit , but it didn't help.when i turn the ignition key to the on position, the temp. gauge needle pegs out to cold . any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 12, 08:16 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: temp. gauge

Sounds like a ground issue at the sender or the gauge.
Are we talking OEM, reproduction OER, restoration correct Classic HQ, or aftermarket gauge pack?

Also when you replaced the sender did you use Teflon tape or pipe dope? If yes remove it since that may prevent or interfere with the ground to the block

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 12, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Ground the wire on the sending unit and gauge should read full scale hot.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 12, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
jackie

they are original console gauges--i used antiseize compound as it is an aluminum intake-i removed the compound, just to be sure--no difference--i removed the green wire from the sending unit, grounded it and turned the ignition on. the gauge went from cold position to pegged out to cold position. i was thinking it should have pegged out to hot.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 12, 12:24 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Reverse the wires on the gauge and test again. Should peg HOT

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 12, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
jackie

i haven't messed with the wiring--it has been working like it was--but,since our last blog, i unhooked the plug behind the gauge and ran a jumper on the green wire to the other end of the same wire and found continuity , so assuming the green wire was making connection all the way through. then i plugged it back and tested the wire by grounding it out at the sending unit and it pegged the gauge to hot like it should. gauge still doesn't work, though.it still pegs out cold when i turn on the ignition is there a way to test the gauge itself? i warmed the engine up to see if was working--stayspegged on cold
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 12, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Engine cold, disconnect the sending wire and measure the sending unit stud to engine block, should read a high resistance, above 5000 ohms, typically. Hook wire to s/unit, gauge should read cold, or even pegged cold. Final check is to measure the hex (body of the s/unit) to ground and should be less than 1 ohm resistance. If not, s/unit is not grounded through the threads to engine block/head.

Warm engine up to operating temp, top rad hose will be hot. Unhook s/unit wire and measure s/unit stud to ground. Should read around 200 ohms when coolant is hot and gauge should show a hotter temp indication, typically, a 180F thermostat, needle typically should be at 10 o'clock mark.

The above statements are good if there is battery voltage to the correct terminal of the gauge. You can check the gauge using the ohmmeter function across the gauge itself no connections of the gauge to anything else. You may have to reverse the leads to get it to work, peg cold one way and peg hot the other polarity.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode