67 RS head light doors - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

67 RS head light doors

Good morning all. Has anyone ever used the Retro Electric conversion kit. It looks good to get rid of all the releys and switches. Mine work but inconsistently. If i turn the offthe lights the passenger side needs a slight flick of a finger to get it to close or if before you turn off the lights if you were to move it by hand 1/8" when you turn on the key it will shut on it's own. Now the drivers side one is kind of doing the same thing with needing a little touch to get it to open. I am not much of a electrical guy so was looking to convert and get away from all the stuff. Any oppinions would be much appreciated. Thanks Mike

67 R/S Blue 406 518HP and 504TQ Dart block,Callies crank,Mahle pistons,Ultradyne cam 230/238 duration @.050 530 lift at 113 lsa, Afr 195 heads,Holley 4150HP carb and RPM Air gap. TKO600 with 373 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Re: 67 RS head light doors

I think you might have gotten the R-E info backwards as it relates to your '67.

R-E sells electric conversion kits to '68 and '69 vacuum RS cars.

Your car's RS doors are already electric, in which case R-E makes fine replacement motors. Your car sounds like it might need the limit switches checked for ground/continuity.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 12, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

They have a kit for the 67 also

67 R/S Blue 406 518HP and 504TQ Dart block,Callies crank,Mahle pistons,Ultradyne cam 230/238 duration @.050 530 lift at 113 lsa, Afr 195 heads,Holley 4150HP carb and RPM Air gap. TKO600 with 373 gears

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 12, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Has anyone ever used them?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 12, 03:15 PM
Tech Team
Den

Mike,
I installed their system on my 67 RS. My original RS headlights operated randomly in a good and a bad way :-) Sometimes the limiting switches wouldn't completely register the door opening etc. and the motors would start making awful noises. I was really happy to get rid of that cluster of wiring, switches and relays.

Per Retro's recommendations, I installed 2 headlight Bosch style relays to drive low and high beam lights with the direct battery fused 12v. The system is smart enough to know when the doors are jammed, for example, and it won't drain your battery. The installation took me almost a day due to rewiring the relays and mounting their motors (quite powerful in comparison to the old Camaro ones).

Overall, I am very satisfied with their product, because it reliably works and I don't have to worry if my lights' doors opened on the freeway or not.

Good luck with your project!

'67 Camaro RS, 383, 3.73, TH350, Comp XE268, Harland Sharp rockers (1.5:1), Stealth intake, Edel. 750cfm, 9.4:1CR, 487X heads, Hooker headers, AeroFlow Chambers, Comp. Eng. SF, traction bars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 12, 04:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

My recommendation is to give them a call Retro Electric and speak with Mark. You will get the answer to your questions and the parts that you need to make things work properly. Great people to deal with.

Yes i have used them and recommend them highly as their products are high quality and their service is first rate.

67 RSSS Van Nuys, 4th week Sept,1966
ps,tilt,headrest,spd warn,pw,am/fm,delux int,
remote mirror,rear defrost,tint glass.etc...
TKO 600 Extreme,12bolt 3:73 gears.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 12, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I used them and they are great! Here is thread on the install.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=164938

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thanks guy's. Awesome information. I think this is on my next list of things to fix. Thanks again Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode