How to test my light switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Super 8

How to test my light switch?

Background: http://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/u...=248232&page=2

When I pull the switch out, the rear lights always go on, the internal lights go on very randomly, and the headlights don't ever go on. I remember that when I was fidgeting with the switch, the internal lights would work in only some positions, so I believe that the switch is to blame, and there is no loose connection.

So. My question is how can I test this switch to see if it really is the problem?
I have labeled both pictures the same for ease of reference. Also, how should I have the plunger when testing? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 10:47 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: How to test my light switch?

Check your dash grounds first and foremost. Also check the dash bulbs they may all be dead. If that fails to fix the issue then move to the next step.

"Internal" as in dash lights and the dome light/courtesy lights are controlled by the rheostat located at the front of the switch. Quality switches will have porcelain, cheap will have Bakelite behind the spring like rheostat.

To test while still in the car, rotate the switch full clockwise until you feel the click. this should activate the dome/courtesy lights. If yes, then rotate just back from the click and the dome/courtesy lights should go out leaving the dash lights at full brightness.

If this is true then several aggressive sweeps of the knob from full off to full on may clean up the issue. Otherwise remove switch and clean rheostat with good quality tuner cleaner (top grade silicone) from Radio Shack. If that fails to fix the issue then you need a new switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Super 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Check your dash grounds first and foremost. Also check the dash bulbs they may all be dead. If that fails to fix the issue then move to the next step.

"Internal" as in dash lights and the dome light/courtesy lights are controlled by the rheostat located at the front of the switch. Quality switches will have porcelain, cheap will have Bakelite behind the spring like rheostat.

To test while still in the car, rotate the switch full clockwise until you feel the click. this should activate the dome/courtesy lights. If yes, then rotate just back from the click and the dome/courtesy lights should go out leaving the dash lights at full brightness.

If this is true then several aggressive sweeps of the knob from full off to full on may clean up the issue. Otherwise remove switch and clean rheostat with good quality tuner cleaner (top grade silicone) from Radio Shack. If that fails to fix the issue then you need a new switch.
-In the link I posted earlier, it shows that the lights are working, so that is not the issue.
-The dash ground is working fine, just tested
- Courtesy light has been removed (roll cage, no room for it)
- When the lights WERE working, i would rotate the switch full clockwise, then back it off slightly, and that's the point that they internal lights would work. Now though, they don't come on at all, leading me to believe that it might be a worn out switch

Thanks for the help, still trying to wrap my head around this

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Brian states, dome/courtesy lights would come on with knob rotated fully CW.
Dash lights are through the rheostat - rotate the bejesus on the knob, the rheostat does get alittle dirty in spots at times.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode