Need help, installing new distributor - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Need help, installing new distributor

I started to install my new MSD stand alone distributor and coil today and have some questions. The first about the cloth yellow wire was answered by searching old threads, I am going to run a new wire.

I also discovered the previous owner had the distributor lead going to the neg side of the coil, was that right?

The problem I am having is this, I hand cranked the engine to tdc and noticed when I removed the factory distributor cap that the rotor wasn't pointing to the #1 cylinder wire, it was pointing more towards #5/#2. Is this right? Could the dampener be out of position?

When I go to install the new distributor, as long as I install it having the rotor pointing to the same location I should be okay right?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Josh

Re: Need help, installing new distributor

The instructions in the box for your dist setup will instruct you where to run each wire.

Usually you will see some initial advance timing so yes, you will see the rotor pointing more towards #2 than #1.

You will need to time the motor after you are finished, you will not be able to finish it properly unless you are prepared to time it. It should start and run if you are close.

Was this purchased with a design in mind? Once again more info is needed. Large cam? Stock? Research the Timing sticky here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150344, and you will be much better prepared
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I've read that thread before and I am up on what I have to do and have the distributor all wired in. That wasn't the problem, it was the location of the rotor and it not pointing even closely to the #1 wire which was at 6 o'clock on the stock distributor. As you can see from the pics, it is pointing close to 4 o'clock, towards the terminal on the coil. Another one shows with the cap installed with the #1 wire lining up with the rotor. I haven't tried to start it yet, I still have to run the new wire to the coil from the fuse panel.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 12, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

To locate the dizzy..finfd #1 TDC...remove #1 spark plugg, turn the engine over with your finger blocking the hole...when u feel presure turn over slow, and a bit of mig wire u can fell the piston come up.
1/2 way from where it stops coming up and starts going down is TDC..confirn on the crank timing tag.
U now drop the dizzy in so when fully engaded with the cam gear, the VA unit pionts to just behind the passengers headlight and rotor face damn near straight forward...
If it doesn drop staight in all the way, then the oil pump drive..which fits in the pin at the bottom of the dizzy, is in the wrong position....a long screw driver is used to position correctly
Be where the rotor twists a little as it drops on the cam gear.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thanks for the help Steps, I really appreciate it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Having the coil with power to the neg post rather than pos post could have been the fix for an internally wired backwards coil. Hard starting and quicker-than-normal worn spark plugs due to the direction of travel of the spark.

Checking coil polarity is simple - place voltmeter negative to the secondary tower and ground the positive meter lead. Crank engine over and if voltmeter flicks positive, correct coil polarity. If meter flicks negative, then connect power wire to neg post.
Very rare this event happens, but a probability, but it happened as there is a checkout procedure.

But normally, no, not the correct hook up.
I see the engine has not been started in a while, rust on the pulleys.
I would have the rotor pointing more towards the front, maybe to Cyl #1, just about another tooth CW.
I see the vac can is on full manifold vacuum, if the engine runs good, so be it.
Throttle linkage is backwards. Generally, the adjustment nut is on the carb arm, not on the pedal arm. No harm, no foul as it sets.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

Don't worry about where the rotor pointed, someone probably missed it initially, it's not a big deal as you are reinstalling it anyhow. You can install it any old way to fit , as long as you wire the cap up correctly, it does not know the difference if you need extra sweep for a vac can etc.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
You can install it any old way to fit ,
Yep.. and then start to tune up and the VA hits the inlet manifold... thats bloody frustrating going back re alingning the oil pump blah blah..
There are good reasons why the factory set things up a partiular way and why not to be lazy and not do it right 1st time round

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech
Josh

Step I was referring to the fact that you can orient it to CLEAR things to get enough sweep, not that you should install it wily nilly.

I certainly know where it's supposed to be, and why, but people are installing all sorts of different setups now. I was just offering a little advice.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Al

If you're new to this, you need to know that the pointer on the balancer will show TDC twice in a 4 stroke engine - once on the compression stroke and once on the exhaust stroke. For a beginner, it's easiest to get the engine to TDC on the compression stroke and then install the distributor so that the rotor is pointing at the #1 post on the cap. Steps said as much but didn't explain why. Another way to find TDC on compression stroke is to remove the driver's side valve cover and look at the 2 rocker arms at the front of the engine - both should be all of the way up when the pointer is at zero.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I got her all fixed and she runs great now. Thanks again.

There is an adjustment nut on the throttle end of the rod also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode