Success!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Success!!

I got it running!!

After following Steptoe's suggestions, I pulled the #1 spark plug to determine tdc and found out that the balancer timing marks were WAY out of place. I also ran a new 12 awg lead from the fuse panel to the coil to replace the factory resistor wire. Turned the key and she fired right up!!

Thanks again Steps for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 11:59 AM
Kevin

Re: Success!!

Nice, but using full 12 volts on a factory coil will burn it out. it gets 12 volts via the starter while cranking, but then get reduced voltage when running.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

It is my understanding that the resistance wire is to lower the current through the points to prevent wear/pitting.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 01:13 PM
Kevin

Might be the points, but I know something burns out with a full 12v

Kevin

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I'm running an MSD pro billit dist with the blaster coil, forgot to mention that. I was referring to this thread where things weren't lining up like they should and Steps bailed me out. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=207050.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 12, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Cool on the timing//always go back to absolute basics when trouble shooting

OK ok now the 12v on balast coils and visa versa
No u do not burn them out...well maybe if one is stupid enough to persist on a perminent basis....
Coils generally have a 12 or a 6 stamped on the base or in the part # depending on maker....
12 is 12v 6 is balast.
using 12v on a ballast and visa versa theengine runs for 20 mins or so...and dies, will not start...and after cleaning plugs and alsorts of side of the road stuff, it fies up fine runs another 5 or 10 mins and dies....

No the balast is not about pionts wear..it has to do with current draw to the starter on cold starts

Point burning is directly related to the value of the condeser.....the "burning issue came about because ppl would go to a 12v 'sports' coil, by pass the balast , and not change the value of the condesor shortening the life of the pionts

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 06:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Resistance wire controls peak current built in the coil.

Condensor (capacitor) absorbs inductive collapse on primary side, protecting the points from arcing.

Resistance wire bypassed when cranking to increase peak current built in coil, with a resultant increase in secondary flyback voltage when points open to help ignite overly rich mixture.

So Steps - you be correct. The condensor is what really keeps the points alive. If you bypass the resistance wire on a standard point ignition, the peak voltage on the primary will become excessive for the condensor to continually absorb, and it will damage it. Brief exposure while cranking is OK. Rating of condensor depends on coil (inductance and turns ratio).

Sorry man - I be an engineer stuck doing HR stuff this week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode