Headlight and Side Marker Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Headlight and Side Marker Problems

1969 Z28 RS (4 year build) and just put a battery in for the first time to test the electrical as trying to fire up in the next couple weeks.

Side Marker lights are on even though the key is not on or lights on.
When I turn the lights on (no key) The side markers go off, the parking lights go on and the rear brakes light up including the rear side marker lights.

When I turn the lights off the side marker lights come on again without key. When I turn the left signal on, the parking light blinks (left light) but that is it. Then when I turn the lights on the parking lights do not blink when I use the turn signal..........

Any help would be appreciated. I am checking grounds and connections etc.

Also headlights do not work at all. Will not go on and only parking lights on the front go on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 12:08 PM
Kevin

Re: Headlight and Side Marker Problems

gotta be the grounds. When grounds are not present within the wiring harness. grounds start taking paths thru bulbs, making weird things happen. Most harnesses have between 1 and 3 grounds, so make sure all are hooked up and work! Use a ohm meter to make sure.

as an example, when the rear taillight ground is not good (there is only 1 on that harness) the ground path goes thru light switch to the dash lights, go figure!

might be a bad light switch too.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 03:57 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
gotta be the grounds. When grounds are not present within the wiring harness. grounds start taking paths thru bulbs, making weird things happen. Most harnesses have between 1 and 3 grounds, so make sure all are hooked up and work! Use a ohm meter to make sure.

as an example, when the rear taillight ground is not good (there is only 1 on that harness) the ground path goes thru light switch to the dash lights, go figure!
Thats where I'd start too

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 04:47 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

x3 on grounds, and tell us is this original harness or replacement?

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Replacement Harness in the engine bay from classic industries. Converted to HEI. Also have electric fuel pump and dual electric fans all running with relays. Have those connected directly to battery and also to the ignition fuse panel and checked the grounds on them. Don't think they are impacting it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Since a light harness is installed, I would check color-to-color at the firewall connector between interior side and engine side ensuring they match.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 08:20 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Also check the connector to make sure it slip together with the mate and is connected tight and straight to the firewall port. Using the original fusebox or has then been replaced too?

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Using the original fuse box. Will check that the match out properly. Will have to wait as I did my back in checking the headlight switch under the dash. Thanks for the help, electrical is not my thing and want to get her running for summer time.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Did you reinstall the grounding bracket on the headlamp sw? This is a metal bracket with a pigtail that connects between the headlamp and wiper sw and then connects to gnd on your dash. Also did you connect each gnd wire located at ea headlamp?

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

THANK YOU. yes i had the grounding bracket on. When I checked the grounds to each headlight I had the passenger side hooked to the junction box instead of grounded. OOPS. Now headlights work.

One question. The left indicator has the parking light and rear light blink, same for the right side. The front and rear quarter panels don't blink and only come on when the lights are on. I think this is correct but wanted to check.

Another question is my alternator. The new harness does not have a voltage regulator and has a bigger clip on it. I think I need to get an alternator with an internal regulator and just want to confirm.

Once I get that and a belt I am good for fire up. The original Z28 pulleys are used and the book says 46.5 inch belt. I have all the orginal pulleys but when I measure it comes out as 43.5 inches. 3 inches seems like a big difference even if i did not allow for slack.

THANKS for the help. Awesome to see her alive with power. Will be starting it soon after 5 years. As you all know it will be an amazing feeling to finally hear my work come to life.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Just checked my harness.

69 8 CYLINDER STANDARD WITH GAUGES LIGHT HARNESS W/ DRIVERS SIDE INT. REG.Zoom
69 8 CYLINDER STANDARD WITH GAUGES LIGHT HARNESS W/ DRIVERS SIDE INT. REG.

Part Number: # CA97542DI

Looks like I ordered for Internal Alternator. When I bought I was going to go with a ZZ4 which switched the alt to the driver side. Went with another engine and moved the alt wire to passenger side. Do you have any suggestions on what internal alt is good to go with. Also I assume I don't need a conversion kit since the harness is for internal alt.

Thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 12, 08:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Your belt size might be taking into consideration the air pump for the smog control. Do you still have that on the car? I ordered the wrong one the 1st time too as I do not have the smog on it.
The side markers do no blink.
I went with the Jegs 140A internal regulated alternator. I really like it. One wire install. Can't get any easier than that. Should not need any conversion as far as I can see.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 12, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
Daniel

I went with a 100A int. regulated 1 wire small body ac/delco rebuilt from a local shop in 2006. Still working perfectly and is more than enough power to charge my trunk mounted battery and a 200W stereo system. Less rotating mass helps with HP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode