How to connect radio power? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

How to connect radio power?

Hey guys, I am hooking up my 67 Delco AM radio that has had an AM/FM conversion and aux input added.

The instructions say to connect the red wire on the back of the radio (pic provided) to the original 12 volt radio power line or switched 12 volt source/ existing ignition accessory circuit.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2...adioBack-1.jpg

What is the correct and/or best way to make this connection?

I will also rewiring my car (AAW factory fit) and do not want to hack into the harness if possible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: How to connect radio power???

There should be an open terminal on the fuse box.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I usually use quick splice connectors to tap into an existing wire.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=301516

Mike

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcar View Post
There should be an open terminal on the fuse box.
So just run the wire to the to the fuse box. What location do I plug it in to?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I looked for a picture of a 67 Camaro fuse block and you need to get a 1/4" female fully insulated crimp on connector end and this will attach to your red wire on the radio and then this wire with the end on it will plug into the 1/4" male terminal on the fuse block labeled "ACC FUSED". This seems to be the top right terminal on the fuse block. This terminal being fused is wired through the fuse to the left of this terminal.

The ACC FUSED terminal should show power when the key is in the run and accessory position only. If you used the LAMPS then the radio would only work when the headlights were on (and the dash light dimer switch was full on) so you wouldn't use that one. If you used the IGN.FUSED then the radio would only work when the key was in the run position. Again I wouldn't use that one. The last terminal is a BAT.FUSED and this one is hot all the time and again I wouldn't use that one either.

If for some reason there is a wire and plug in the ACC FUSED spot then what you can do is make up a "Y" connector. By taking a short length of wire, strip and connect it to the red wire on your radio and then on the left over short end of wire, strip and crimp on a male 1/4" terminal to it. Now unplug what is connected to the ACC FUSED terminal, plug in your new 1/4" female to the fuse block and then what was plugged into the fuse block before, plug this onto the new 1/4" male terminal.

If the red wire on the radio is not long enough, properly extend it.

The link to the connectors from Autozone should be avoided like the plague. I used them before and had good results and but mostly very poor results with them and I learned my lesson and will never again use them. Those connectore rely on slicing into the sides of the wires insulation and then by a pinch joint only hit on two sides of the wire.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 12, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

SOA-Nova (and others who posted), thanks for the help. It clears up almost everything for me. Your "Y" connector stumped me but just because I would probably need to see one to understand.

What else would this "ACC FUSED" terminal location be used for? I have everything apart and dont remember if there was anything occupying this...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 05:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

This shows you a "y" connector.

http://order.waytekwire.com/products...%20Connectors/

Mike

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind. JCM
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: How to connect radio power?

These make it easier:
http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...NGLE%20FEMALE/

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode