Help with Autowire kit!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Help with Autowire kit!!

I am installing and Autowire classic update kit on my 69 RS. My alternator is on the passenger side of the care and my question is how do the wires from the alternator route to the starter. Like do they run along the valve cover then down with the other wires?? There is also an excite wire from the plug that also needs to go to the main plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
topher

Re: Help with Autowire kit!!

Mike, I have installed the same kit but I have the 1 wire alt. which is on the drivers side in my application. I routed the heavy red wire along inside of valve cover and across wiring gutter on firewall then down to starter. Just read a post on here stating that Don at AAW recomends routing wire straight down from alt. to oil pan bracket (the one for routing pos. batt. cable) to starter. Shorter path. I was told by Don that in my case the stock volt. reg.,horn relay and the GM "main splice" were no longer used with my kit. Also not to use the factory schematics to justify my wiring. It sounds like you have a 3 wire alt. so this may not apply to you. Call Don Bock if you have not already, it may take a few days for him to return a call, but he has been a big help to many here including myself. Good luck
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Thanks for the tip about running the positive wire from the alt down to the positive terminal on the starter. That sounds like the best route.
I have an alternator that says 3 wires internal, but an auto electric place here said that it can also be used as a 1 wire and he tested it. Really not sure if he is correct or not. The Autowire kit has a brown wire that states "excite wire" that plugs into the top of the alt. Donít know what it is for or maybe donít have to hook it up at all.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

It was probably one of my posts describing how Donny said the wire was "meant" to be routed. The insulation is rated high enough to go along that route.

That said, since I had the wire coming over from the front light harness half to the alternator to make the idiot light work, I ran that main red power wire up from the starter to the bottom of the heater box (in with the rest of the "bundle" including the purple wire to the starter), where I then tool it across the bottom of the box (wrapped in the OE style black tape to hide it and held up in clips just like the one holding the orange heater motor wire on top of the box cover) and then up and over the inner fender (wrapped that part in the more modern split loom plastic, just to protect it from pointy fender bolts) and brought it forward to the other wire that needed to go to the alternator. Wrapped in loom tape, so it really looks just like a factory 69 style setup (other than the CS alternator).

For my build I did not want any wires running anywhere that GM didn't run them. I did use the pink 12V feed in the kit that was meant for an ECM to power the electric choke on the Holley spreadbore I was running at the time, but now that is looped back and hidden in the wire gutter.

I looked at the primary red wire in the routing off the back of the alt, down toward and under the fuel pump and then down the positive battery cable in the clips on the oil pan rail, and I just didn't like it. I liked "my" way, and Donny assured me the wire is more than conductive enough that the extra length is not an issue. That is whay many of the wires are so long and not pre-terminated; some guys use the Update kit to route as many wires as possible out of sight for as long as possible. I wanted my setup to look pretty stock, even down to getting the OE style braided covering for the water temp sender.

So, it is really up to you to decide how you want to run the wire.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech
topher

Sounds like you need to decide on which way to go, 1 wire or 3 wire. I say this because if you go 3 wire, the way I understand it, the charging system is wired differently than when going with 1 wire (no "main splice" point with 1 wire). The engine wiring instructions I have from AAW says if using a true 1 wire alt.,you do not need the brown wire from external voltage regulator. Also wanted to point out that with a 1 wire you loose the option of having warning lights on dash. I am by far an expert in this area so mabey someone else can confirm this for you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech

The Update kit is set up to use an internally regulated alternator. The brown wire is the idiot light/on-off from ignition.

M.A.D. Electrical has about the simplest explanation between 1-wire and 3-wire...

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

Eric
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 12, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

What is the brown wire for? I only have an autometer volt gauge in my console. I did NOT install the GEN light on dash when I rewired everything. I did not know that I could have had the warning light come on when the alternator belt broke or something.
So that gets me back to why canít I just hook up the red wire to the alternator and run the wire to the positive terminal on the starter.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You can run the BATT red wire from the alt to the starter and fold back the brown GEN light wire since it is not used.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 12, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Ok I installed the dash wiring and GEN light. It is now connected to the brown wire on the main harness under the dash and pink wire (ignition) is also hooked to the bulb just like the other warning lists. With the brown wire running to the alternator and plugged into the top plug (internal regulator), the GEN light laminates when ignition is turned on. The engine does not run yet, so I canít test if the light will go out when the alternator starts charging.
Anyone explain how this works? Someone said without having the light, and just ignition hot to the brown wire will not let the engine turn off even with the ignition turned off. Why??
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

By OE design, when the ign switch is on, engine off, one side of the bulb has ignition voltage applied.
The other side of the bulb filament has a lower voltage from the alt, almost zero volts, and bulb is lit.
Start engine, alternator starts to work, alt now supplies voltage on the same wire, GEN light is out/off because the same voltage, or close to it, is on both sides of the bulb filament.

Sometimes, as you asked, the power on the brown wire from the alternator will backfeed to the ignition system and engine continues to run - remember, the other side of the bulb, pink wire, is connected to ign circuit, power can run both directions. Therefore, a diode is installed with the line end of the diode going to the bulb.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

That was great information and verifies what I have been reading on the internet about how a 3 wire system works. The only reason that I spent the time making sure the light was operational and going with the 3 wire setup was I wanted to know immediately if/when the alt/water pump belt was thrown off.

What size diode should I put on the ignition pink wire leading to the GEN light? Thank god itís fairly easy to get to from under the dash! Not sure why the Autowire kit does not explain the full function of this in the wiring guides. They almost discourage the installer from hooking up the GEN light and only show hooking up the GEN light when using ALL lights and no gauges.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Old post:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192697

My mistake, line on diode is towards the alternator.

'
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech

Donny Bock is back at work after being out for a while, so if you really want to discuss the Update wiring and what you do or do not need to do for your particular setup, he is the man. Just call the AAW toll free number, use the dial by name function (used to be 9) and enter B-o-c-k. Donny is head of R&D there and knows more about all of the various GM circuits than most of us could ever learn.

Eric
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode