Which DB Electrical Starter? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Which DB Electrical Starter?

I have seen that many people have had good luck with the DB Electrical starter. I need a mini starter for a 10.2:1 400 small block with a McLeod scatter shield and DynaTech headers. I looked on the DB electrical site and they have several options. Don't know which one would work the best for me. Can anyone recommend a specific part number to buy?

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Which DB Electrical Starter?

I'm running a 355 with 10.75:1 CR, Hooker headers, 11" flywheel, and a 621 bellhousing. I went with DB's SDR0031 3hp starter with staggered bolt pattern and it's been great.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Thanks Russ. That is what I needed.

Matt

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Get yourself a set of ARP bolts. The ones that come with the starter are cheeeeeep. Last time I had it off I rung one off in my Dart block and then broke off an easy out in it since I couldn't get a good angle with the right angle drill due to the kick out oil pan. Luckily it was the staggered 168T starter and it was the bolt by the oil pan so I got a Powermaster dual pattern straight bolt one that worked. The starter worked great though. Let me know if you want it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Steiner,

Thanks for the offer but I already ordered one. I will look for the ARP bolts. Do you think grade 8 bolts would work?

Matt
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Yeah, that's fine. The thing to remember is not to overtorque them due to their length. Around 30 ft lb is enough. Let me measure mine tomorrow and see what length you need.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

I would not use standard grade 5 or grade 8 bolts as they don't have the knurl on them that helps keep the starter aligned. Go with ARP or Moroso starter motor bolts. I think I have ARP as they came in a complete engine bolt set I got from Summit.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 12, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I will just chime in as one that did not have good luck with the DB starters. Me and a buddy both bought one and as long as everthing goes smoothly they are fine, but if you have a weak battery or some other issue that causes a kick back the thing is toast. The price is real cheap on the DB but it's probably one of those 'you get what you pay for' deals.

69 Camaro, 3650lbs., 400ci, TH400, Coan 10" converter, 3.50 gear
D1SC, pump gas, 9:1, 10 PSI, Water/Meth injection
1.325 60', 5.988 @ 115.4 (carb)
Switched to Super Sniper EFI 2019
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 12, 03:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Yeah, I had good luck with two of them, a 153T and a 168T but neither got used for long and my setup was perfect. But you're right, they can't be a top quality piece at that price and shouldn't be considered as such. Even the Powermaster I got came with one of the screws holding the mounting block to the starter crossthreaded and seized not cinched down so the starter wobbled on the block and I couldn't get the screw out.

BTW, sorry to take so long but I just measured the bolts. The ones that come with it are roughly 4-1/4" under head length.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 12, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Steiner,

I looked at ARP bolts for the starter and they have 3.7" and 4.45" long bolts. Which do you think I should get? Also, should I buy a set for a mini starter?

Thanks for the help.

Matt
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 12, 03:45 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Get yourself a set of ARP bolts. The ones that come with the starter are cheeeeeep. Last time I had it off I rung one off in my Dart block and then broke off an easy out in it since I couldn't get a good angle with the right angle drill due to the kick out oil pan. Luckily it was the staggered 168T starter and it was the bolt by the oil pan so I got a Powermaster dual pattern straight bolt one that worked. The starter worked great though. Let me know if you want it.
Amen to this post, I noticed the starter was wobbling as I tightened the bolts. I laid them on a flat surface and rolled them and found I had twisted them with very little torque, lucky I saw this before breaking one off. Mine is working fine but I did have to take about .020 -.030 off the top to move the starter up. Seems most shim; I had to do the opposite.

gne68ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode