Is this the same as the MSD crimper? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Is this the same as the MSD crimper?

I am preparing to rewire my engine compartment and make some plug wires. I found this on Amazon made by Tool Aid. http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18929-Spark-Terminal/dp/B000GTJA56/ref=pd_sim_hi_3
It says it will do 8.0 and 8.5mm spiral core plug wires. I don't know if they are the same but a side by side of the inserts looks very similar.

Anyone know for sure if these are the same? If so, the Tool Aid tool is much cheaper.

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 12, 07:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Is this the same as the MSD crimper?

By looking at the picture they are the same. I have the MSD one.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 09:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

The last set of wires I made-up a year ago were 8.5 Moroso's. All they need is one of those .50 cent crimper's that come with terminal boxes. You know, the large round hole with the spear on the other side.
Disclaimer: They work on the distributor end. I would never use such a cheap tool if the plug ends had to be made-up too. Also, the cheap tool is no doubt Chinese. Do you want to go there if you have a choice? My cheapie has been in the tool box over 30 years so that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Well Matt here,s my 2 cents. Yes they are both the same . S& G makes good stuff but that tool is a little pricey . I have to agree with Fred on this one i have one of those crimping pliers and it,s a real good one but i only paid 8/ 10 bucks for it a long time ago . Look around and i am quite shure you will find a nice crimping pliers for short money. Alex
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I have a tylor you get from Summit for something like $30.00 does the job very well. I don't see in that top pic that the die has the stripper for the wires?

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Thanks for the replies. I will try out a cheaper one. I was considering this one because I also have to crimp some weather pack terminals and one of the inserts is for those. But I have gotten by with needle nose pliers before and will do the same this time.

Also, I think the middle cavity of the tool shown above is used for stripping the wire.

Thanks again.

Matt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW67RS View Post
Also, I think the middle cavity of the tool shown above is used for stripping the wire.

Thanks again.
The MSD looks like it for sure, the one above that does not look like it has cutter to strip??

Here is a Taylor tool:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-43400/

Summit brand for much cheaper: $36.00 same as the others that are twice the price.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900400/

For the price the tool works just the same as the others, I think they are all the same tool just different handle colors ot a name on them. The dies all fit the same.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

My MSD 8mm wires came with a crimping tool you can put in a vice or use big channel lock pliers to squeeze. Do you already have you wires? If not order a kit with the tool in it.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Steve. Thanks for the tip. The plug wires are on order and will get here tomorrow. I ordered through Summit and don't see anywhere that it comes with a crimper. But I looked at the MSD wedsite and it shows the crimper you are talking about. Maybe I will get lucky and it will come with one. Will find out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Joe. Thanks for the links for the crimpers. If I don't get a crimper with the wires and can't work without them I will buy the cheaper ones from Summit.

Matt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 12, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
topher

Just built a set of msd 8.5 and it came with the cheap crimper. It actually works pretty good with a vice. The hardest part for me was feeding the wire through the boot. I found that if you bevel the outside edge of the plug wire and a little lube it slides through like butter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 12, 02:27 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

If you put some dielectric grease on the wire (which you should do anyway) it will slide through much easier. Just a small dab smeared all over it goes a long way. Just don't get it on the core. Slide it through the boot before you strip the wire.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 12, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I found that using the crimp tool. (ones linked above in my post) and small drop of dawn dish liquid on the plug wire and some on q-tip in the boot worked great for getting the wire into the boot.

I, cut, stripped and crimped the ends. Coated lightly with dawn. I then used the crimp tool ratched down on the very back side of the crimp. I was able to push the boot on over the end very easly, pushed it up to the tool, moved the tool back in small increments until I got the boot all the way on. The tool did not damage the wire at all. I tried on on some cut pieces and measured resistance as I went just to make sure. Just another use for the ratcheting crimp tool that made this job more easy for me.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode