What are these things? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 12, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

What are these things?

Can anyone tell me what the two things are that are circled in red in the wiring diagram show below? One says "to turn sig" so I am guessing they are part of the steering column. I am doing wiring under the dash and don't see these on my steering column. I saw one thing like this just hanging behind the dash but not two. Where these part of a column shift. My car just has a regular column but maybe it had a column shift originally.

Thanks for any info.

Matt
67 RS, 406 small block, TKO600, Moser 12-bolt (3.73)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 12, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: What are these things?

Those are the steering column connectors.
The right one is part of the column, as you say/ask, yes goes to turn signal switch.
The left one is part of the dash harness, should be right behind the cluster.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 12, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Thanks Everett. What does the one on the left do? Is it some type of switch? If so, how is it actuated.

Matt

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old May 24th, 12, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome. Not a switch, just the dash/body harness connector and mates/connects to the steering column connector/harness.
Just like plugging in an electrical appliance to an extension cord - same principle.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old May 25th, 12, 02:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Matt, here is a pic of mine. It's hanging right above the clutch pedal. It's not a good pic but if you need a closer one, let me know. Like Everett said, the other half is on the steering column.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old May 25th, 12, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Thanks for the picture. Do you have a picture of what the connector looks like on the steering column? Mine is not plugged into my steering column. Should it be? Is this how the turn signal lights are turned on?

Matt
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old May 26th, 12, 04:31 AM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

The other clip looks exactly like the one ROBS6T8 shows in the picture. The two connect together and will only fit together one way. Same amount of wires and colors that match up together when connected. The harness on the steering column is inside the column and will have wires running from just below the turn signal switch down through the column and come out after they pass through the support covers and near the bottom of the dash. Check for it over top the column or hung up under the dash if it is not visible. If the harness has been removed for whatever reason, you will have to take you steering wheel apart down past the turn signal switch/cancel cam and run new harness. And yes, your turn signals, emergency flashers and horn all get their power from this harness. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old May 26th, 12, 07:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Here you go Matt. You can see the harness running up the column into the hub area. Why it's not attached... that's a concern.

My slooow build thread
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old May 27th, 12, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Thanks Robert. I hope to get over to the shop today to do some work on the car. I will look for this connector. It is possible I disconnected it at some point in the restoration but I don't think I did.

Matt
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 27th, 12, 08:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

here are both sides connected together in the factory location. I happen to have one of mine apart now so I took a picture.
http://maxboostracing.com/camaro/connector.jpg
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 12, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

I finally got some time to work on the car today. I found both halves of the connector and they are connected. But there is another connector inline between this connector and the steering column. I have attached a photo below to show this second connector. I don't see anything like this in the factory wiring diagram or any of the pictures you guys have provided. Does this mean that I have an aftermarket steering column?

Matt

Last edited by MW67RS; May 29th, 12 at 09:11 PM. Reason: forgot to attach photo
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 12, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I dont see a picture attached
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 12, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Matt

Sorry. I edited the post and attached the photo.

Matt
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 31st, 12, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW67RS View Post
I finally got some time to work on the car today. I found both halves of the connector and they are connected. But there is another connector inline between this connector and the steering column. I have attached a photo below to show this second connector. I don't see anything like this in the factory wiring diagram or any of the pictures you guys have provided. Does this mean that I have an aftermarket steering column?
I believe you're on to something there. I have a stock column and have not seen anything like that under there. Maybe call a few aftermarket column guys and see if their columns come with an attachment of some sorts to coneect to the original. It appears the rectangular connector are for the wires running up the column into the steering wheel area ie, turn signals.

My slooow build thread
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 31st, 12, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
James

That is an adapter harness to go from 1968 and older curved connector to 1969 and newer straight connector.

For a long time old style curved connector turn signal switches where not reproduced and to make your 1968 and older chevy turn signals work, you hade to use a newer turn signal switch with the straight connector and an adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode