1968 Camaro Convertible Speaker Placement - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 12, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Travis

1968 Camaro Convertible Speaker Placement

Where can I put speakers in my car without having to cut the kicker panels? Can I put them Under the rear seat or somewhere. I don't want to ruin the stock look but want a killer system. What are my options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 28th, 12, 08:51 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 1968 Camaro Convertible Speaker Placement

Well depends on what radio you have. AM - Mono dash and call it done. AM/FM stereo you can replace the dash mono speaker with a stereo replacement.

Converts are strange in that the factory rear speaker location is not effective once the top is down, whats the point of owning a vert if you don't drive with the top down?

So the solution options are mild to wild, covert and obvious:

Easy to use factory speaker kick panels - reproductions available in black with modern speakers installed. Perfect for a restoration factory looking original setup.

I have seen speakers mounted on the rear well and use the seat upright as speaker covers, but a lot of amp power is needed to boost the sound through the seats. Covert yes, practical no.

I have seen aftermarket headrests with speakers like a Pontiac Fiero. Great if your ride is already a mod.

Old school small car audio box speakers just left on the rear seat. I used this for years. Good sound bad if you have passengers often.

new speaker locations punched into the dash. Only an option for radical mods.

I myself used the stereo replacement in the dash and the small car audio speaker boxes on the rear seats for years. While I'm restoring my interior I'm going with just the dash speaker since I hate talk radio, chatty dj's and commercials in the first place so the radio is more for looks then function. If I do decide I need to hook my ipod up for tunes I may consider the factory kick panels solution. Ricks has two very nice looking set different wattage and both all the vent to be still used.

There are a few more choices for 67-68 with and without vent features.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 28th, 12, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

I used the center dash (two 3.5") and put two Bose 101's on the back seat. No one ever seats back there anyway :-) Oh, and an Infinity sub in the trunk.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 29th, 12, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech

Travis, you may have overlooked the info found in the archives? Punch in "convertible speakers", and you'll find lots of input dealing with this particular topic that others have suggested for DT intalls.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 12, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Travis

Did camaros come factory with speakers in the kicker panels as a option??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 12, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech
frank

heres what i did. remove the kick panels. cut off the back. put some plastic down into the vent hole. install 6X9 and secure to the lip of vent hole. install your kick panel back in place....the pro's..great sound,invisible, and looks stock without cutting in the front of your panels...the con's...no air coming though, but who cares, its a vert!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 12, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorysaber View Post
Did camaros come factory with speakers in the kicker panels as a option??
Not unless your car had either a multiplex AM/FM radio, or an 8 track player.

You could get a single auxiliary speaker (RPO U80) as an option, it came with a fader that replaced the fake front/rear fader knob on mono radios and split the mono output to the front speaker. The speaker went in the rear passenger side, either on the package tray in a coupe, or in a cardboard speaker housing under the convertible top liner behind the seat.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 12, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorysaber View Post
Where can I put speakers in my car without having to cut the kicker panels? Can I put them Under the rear seat or somewhere. I don't want to ruin the stock look but want a killer system. What are my options.
There is no room under the seats.

I put in some Pioneer box speakers bolted to the front of the seats, and that worked pretty well. Very reversable, but it leaves 2 holes in the seat frame where you will never see them any way.

I don't think you can get a "killer system" without heavy modifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode