69 tail lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 12, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

69 tail lights

69 non-Rs Tail lights quit working. Fuse is good. Brake lights work. Hazard lights work. Turn signals work. Side markers work. Dash lights work. Inside the car with door closed I can rotate the headlight switch counterclockwise and interior lights will come on briefly and go off. Interior lights stay on with door opened. Bad switch?

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 12, 08:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: 69 tail lights

Do the rear side marker lights work? I think the same wire powers the rear side markers and the tails. If the rear side markers are working I think the switch is good.

Jeff
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 12, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Bad ground in the tail light buld holder(s) or on the body...connecks just below the trunk catch.
Follow the no current back with a trouble light or multi meter.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 12, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

Strange! When I posted earlier the rear side markers were working. Now they are out, too.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 12, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

This is a brand new restoration. I cleaned the ground wire below the trunk latch. No result. I knew that the left (driver) side marker had been on earlier. I tested and it had power. Moved the bulb around and it came on. Both tail lights and right side marker still off. I took out the left tail light bulb holder and moved the bulb around. It came on along with the other tail light and right side marker. I guess these things are in series and if one is not connected, the ones on down the line don't get power. Guess I better clean all of the bulb holders.

I suppose problem solved. Thanks, guys! Now I can stay out after dark.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

Last edited by rhcdmd; Jun 24th, 12 at 07:53 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 12, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Robin

Correction: problem was in the wiring between left rear side marker and wire to left tail light. 43 year old wire splice had come undone. Fixed.

1969 SS 396/375
11C Norwood
M21 3.73 12 bolt

Last edited by rhcdmd; Jun 24th, 12 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode