HELP...SNAFU with a CS130 alt conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 12, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

Question HELP...SNAFU with a CS130 alt conversion

Any of you guys have some solutions to a prety common project I would be realy thankfull. yesterday I started the alternator conversion from Wes Vann's tech article #14 and went with the part numbers for the passenger side mounted cs130 (DLG1346-5-11 I even told the guy at the counter i had the 88 Olds just to pay my homage to Wes). I have a performer intake and at a glance the same mounting bracket setup too. Today I went to swap them out and unfortunatly the darn thing is too small. By too small I mean that center to center the mounting tab holes are 6 1/8" appart. On the 1100834 37A delco I am replacing, the centers are 6 5/8" appart. Has anyone out their run into the same problem and if so what sort of solution, or parts did you use? I also swapped over my original pulley and to is actualy larger than the new higher output unit, so their is contact with the brackets too. Unfortunatly the thought of trying to work this out at the local autozone here is hopeless as you all prob know already. Any help would be appreciated as I have already done the voltage regulator bypass so I am truly dead in the water until I figure this one out. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00607.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	29111  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: HELP...SNAFU with a CS130 alt conversion

I haven't done that swap (I used a 10si) but I'd think you could replace the upper bracket with a heim-joint turnbuckle type belt tensioner. You can probably find one ready-made or you could make your own if you have a good local h/w store - just remember one side of it needs to be LH thread.

You might also just try loosening both bolts that attach the upper bracket to the engine - it should provide enough slop to attach the adjuster bolt. Adjust the belt, and then the last step tighten the upper bracket bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

Thanks for the idea BPOS. When I refresh the engine and clean things up under the hood that could be a nice design idea. For now I just conceded defeat and swapped the cs130 down to a 12si. I didn't really need the 100+ amps I was just being greedy. This 68Amp delco I picked up at Auto-zone was part# DL7127M plus it was half the price! I believe it was a mid 80's Camaro with a 305. Fyi to any others out their it is a perfect mate to the 69 SB Camaro bracket. Also remember to pick-up the alternator pigtail Dorman # 85841. My Dumb-*** had to go rite back to the parts store. Thanks For the reply BPOS!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

As you discovered, GM changed the common DN/SI dimension, from 6.60", to 6.14" (156mm) on the CS130.
They also changed the upper bolt size to metric - 8mmX1.25 vs. 5/16" on the earlier units.

The newer CS144 is even more fun - with the spacing being increased to 7.21" (183mm) and the upper bolt size is also bigger @10mm.

I've adapted several over with the stock upper bracket in a couple of ways.
1.) used the stock bracket lower bolt (at water pump) and re-bent the upper bracket to fit.
2.) cut off the upper bolt location and only used to lower
3.) cut off the upper location and fabricated a new piece to fit the maifold bolt hole location

I've also used a single bracket such as recommended above with excellent results.
The type has varied depending on the need of the application.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

The cs130 is junk for fit and durability.

The 12SI will outlast you.

You did the right thing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

Thanks for the reply vintage 68, you seem like you know a few secrets about the charging system in your 68... Got any other tricks to fortify the rest of the electrical system?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Randal

Thanks for the pat on the back their mahunt!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 02:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: HELP...SNAFU with a CS130 alt conversion

The CS130-D is junk - I've never had problem-1 with the newer CS130 in many applications

The only 'tricks' I know are a good system designed to meet your needs.
It's important to design new feeds for new accessories and not try to adapt or 'tap' them into the original system - it won't handle most modern items very well ...

If I'm using parts of the original system, or restoring/rewiring it, I always make sure to check all the factory splices (and taps) to be sure they are 100% mechanically and electrically sound - it's easy to untape these and resolder/crimp them while you're checking the system.
I also routinely rewire the primary feeds with new wiring of at least the original gauge or, most often, a size slightly larger or calc'd to handle the loads expected in the system.
I'll also install new connectors at most locations. Old connectors get 'worn' and can contribute to bad connections after all these years of service. You can buy new connector ends from many vendors and at most car-show swaps.

Changing the alternator to a modern higher output unit requires rewiring the system to allow for the increased amperage.
You'll need a new wiring system from the alternator to the distribution block, new wiring from the block to bat. and maybe even a dedicated ground path from the alt. to the bat to insure the max. output can be handled.
If installing accessories in the trunk or rear of the vehicle, it is important to install a distribution point designed for those loads back there. Fusing should be located at the source for these points.
I also recommend using the 'remote' sense wiring provided by the newer CS series systems. These may not be absolutely required for most 'stock' car applications where the distance from alt. to bat. to accessories is fairly short - but there are still benefits from having it wired as GM intended. I routinely install the 'sense' wire connection at the farthest distribution point location from the alt. to be sure the full system voltage is monitored there vs. at the output of the alt.
Moving the bat. to the trunk of course involves all of the above, plus system considerations for charging and starting systems and distribution from that point.

A new sound system should also be wired directly from the distribution block with proper fusing.

Same goes from electric fan systems, higher draw lighting systems and other modern accessories - a separate system designed and fused for that load is needed.

You can really increase the operational characteristics of higher draw systems, like headlights, by using a relay system to feed direct voltage from the distribution point to the lamps vs. the OEM wiring which routed the power from distribution through firewall then switch(es) and then back through firewall to lamp - loosing as much as 30~50% of the system rated voltage in the process ...
Me likey relays

Lots of other things can (or should) be done to meet specific needs on some vehicles, only knowing the exact need and use can guide you there.
I have actually wired a small 'Brick' PLC into a vehicle to monitor systems and provide feedback data - that was a fun project.
Even programmed it to be the 'Alarm' system
I've still got one to someday install in one of mine

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 12, 02:08 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

When I went from the stock 37A to the CS130 I used the Safari Wagon one and it even had the correct pulley already (stock V-belt) Everything dropped into place....minus my wire mix-up at the voltage regulator

Click image for larger version

Name:	vid pic.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	29124

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
88 olds firenza, alternator brackets, alternator conversion, cs130, dlg1346-5-11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode