Headlights still flickering - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 12, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Headlights still flickering

Hello again. I have been away and not able to tackle fully the issue of my flickering headlights. I have a 69 with a new Ididit column with the hi/lo dimmer in the turn signal arm. My headlights flicker either montarily or at a fast pace. They do not do it while the car is not running. They function perfect with the engine off. With the engine off I have tried to wiggle wires all over. Behind the headlights, ground wires and wires from the harness to the AAW modubox. I can not duplicate when it is not running.

When I start the car and turn the headlights on they can be fine. But once I hit the gas or letting off they have begun their sequence of spuractic flickering. I have a new battery, whole car AAW classic update wiring, new 140 amp alt, 6gauge alt sensing wiring to junction block, used heavier gauge wires elsewhere that I could to cut down on resistance and alt belt is tight. I have checked grounds and used star washers. Still no luck.

Here are the things elec that are not working properly in the car. Cigarette lighter does not work. Rear console light does not work. And the dome courtesy light does not come on when the light switch is rotated. But the switch is new.

The other thing that I noticed when cleaning the ground cable from the battery to the passenger side inner fender was. When I touched the ground to the body there is a little spark. Is that normal? I didn't think it should do that.

Car runs fine and none of the other lights be it dash, radio or anything work properly. I have read through 4 or 5 posts looking for suggestions to ring a bell with no luck so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 12, 12:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Headlights still flickering

Ted, did you re-install the ground strap that goes around the light swith and then grounds to the dash. That is how the interior light works with the dial. It also connects to the wiper sw.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 12, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Here's a pic of the grouding strap that goes around the headlight sw and also connects to the wiper sw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-028F.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	29334  

Dennis

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 12, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax87 View Post
Ted, did you re-install the ground strap that goes around the light swith and then grounds to the dash. That is how the interior light works with the dial. It also connects to the wiper sw.
Max I don't think I did. I'll check. Thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 12, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Thanks Max. That was the problem for the dome light. No switch ground strap installed. Works now. Still flickering headlights
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 12, 07:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

I think I would take the alt down and have it tested. Sounds like when you accelerate and excite the alt to were it engages, the vol regulator is erratic. I take it thats its internally regulated.

Dennis
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 12, 04:15 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah I agree with Dennis - sounds like Alternator and or Voltage Regulator issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 12, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Saprk from ground shoul dnot happen.
I would try a jumper wire from alt case to battery negative post to see if flicking goes away.
If it does, then you have an insulated alt to battery and should clean the bracketry of paint. Also, jumper body to engine block.
This action references all components to one level, puts all of them onto the same plane, so to speak.
If the flickering still does not go away, then as suggested, have alt tested.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 12, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage

I had a similar problem with my 68. I have Painless wiring harness. I had put in a new switch from NAPA. Turned out that switch was bad. I replaced it with a Delco and my problem went away. I knew it was the switch, I could put some pressure upward on the switch and they would work fine. Without pressure they would flash on and off usually while the car was moving and there was some vibration. Setting still they worked normally.

1968 Camaro, GM Performance ZZ4, TH350 W/Shift Kit, Sanderson Headers, MagnaFlow SS Exhaust, Vintage Air, Unisteer Rack, Dakota Digital, Ididit Column, Eaton Posi, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Custom Stripes
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Saprk from ground shoul dnot happen.
I would try a jumper wire from alt case to battery negative post to see if flicking goes away.
If it does, then you have an insulated alt to battery and should clean the bracketry of paint. Also, jumper body to engine block.
This action references all components to one level, puts all of them onto the same plane, so to speak.
If the flickering still does not go away, then as suggested, have alt tested.
Guys I just tried this with no resolve. Jump wiring the alt case to batt neg. Flickering happened also when I had my 100 amp alt. The other suggestion regarding the Delco switch I have not tried yet. Even though it is a new switch. Could flickering be caused by any power wire under/in the dash that is hitting ground? I still neeed to resolve my rear console courtesy light and cigarette lighter not working.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 06:24 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yup something grounding, or dead shorting might be responsible. Also check the fuse block connections and bulkhead connector or loose fit or shorted wires.

You could just hot wire "shunt" the headlights with the harness connection eliminating the switch, to see if it is the switch just use the right gauge wire shunts.

Cigarette lighter element or the socket is dead? Socket check ground of the socket to tray and dash assembly.

Courtesy light: Is there power at the stub connector (this is the dashboard side of the console harness) on the orange and white spades? Use a test lamp. If so then the issue is in the console side of the harness. If no power then trace from fuse block out.

Spark when negative cable is connected means something is drawing power. Either planned modern item like a clock or radio unit, or old - trunk light, glove-box light or short.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

So disconnecting the low current ground causing a spark (a normal current path) is considered wrong?
Please. These are old cars and the ground paths are all rusted/corroded unless someone has cleaned them.

Many of the positive paths through switches, and connectors are resistive unless checked and fixed.

If the OP has a new AAW harness, the problem is in + connections or grounds. Since grounds are somewhat invisible, they are often ignored or forgotten.

Bad grounds.

Take an 8' 12G wire and solder alligator clips to each end. Connect one end to the headlight grounds (did you clean those?). Connect the other end to the battery.

Better? You're getting closer... Now try grounding to the rad support. No good?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If the headlights are the only place the flicker is seen and not anywhere else I'd just do the headlight relay upgrade. Plug and play harnesses are only around $30 or so on ebay.

Spark when connecting the ground wire is normal especially if you have an aftermarket radio or other accessories with memory. Plus there is normal capacitance in an electrical system that will cause a quick draw when the battery circuit is completed.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

I have already installed AAW headlight relay kit for the hi/lo beams. I havee redone some wiring to heavier gauge also. Like 6 ga. off the alt to the junction block for voltage sensing.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 12, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Kev I have cleaned the grounds all the way around. I will try your suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode