Wiring tape - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

Wiring tape

I am going to clean up my wiring in my engine compartment. It is a 1969 Camaro with a new 350 and other new stuff, now just need to clean up the wiring a bit more than it is. I see some just use electrical tape and that looks ok, but I see Classic Industries has wire loom tape, one is cloth and the other is what looks like regular electrical tape. This is used to clean up the wires going into the back of the alternator and the wiring going over the drivers side inner fender. Or what else should I use. Thanks, Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 05:30 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Wiring tape

Depends on your purpose. If a show vehicle looking to be judged then use the correct wire loom tape and not electrical tape. If you are not looking to be judged it is a personal choice. The original loom tape is easy to use, binds to its-self and last a long time. Classic and all the majors sell it, also available at American Auto Wire. I use the original as habit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 05:47 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Don't ever use electrical tape what ever you do! The heat causes the tape glue to melt and run so if you touch it it gets messed up and dirt stickes to it. I personally don't care for the plastic ribbed wire covers but if done in black can look ok. If you want a custom "race car" look use ty-wraps placed at about a 1" distance apart. Factory wrapped looks best on most street cars from stock to moderately modified in my book.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

For connecting wires I always solder and use heat shrink.

PRO.ST69orange

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

I just got back from Harbor Freight where I stocked up on some electrical supplies, including heat shrink tubing and the black plastic ribbed stuff mentioned above. They had many different colors of shrink if you wanted to go for something other than black and different sizes of tubing. Personal choice if you like that look or not. I do know that it is a lot cheaper than any other place I've seen.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerod

It is a show car, but no serious shows to be looked under and to see if it has the correct chalk/inspection marks, but I also do drive it. I will get the cloth style of tape then. Thanks, Jerod
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 07:30 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Jerod - the cloth is for older cars, your '69 would have been wrapped in vinyl. The wide roles were for under the dash harness and the narrower rolls are for under the hood.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Don't ever use electrical tape what ever you do! The heat causes the tape glue to melt and run so if you touch it it gets messed up
yep...
thu what most ppl call "electrical tape" these days is simple plastic BS with adhesive on it...crap....
rolls of it is good for throwing at birds eating the plums in the trees...
We use 3M 900V rated, proper electical tape... the stuff certified for the electical cables on 120m communication towers with the tops up in the snow line...
Its expensive about $NZ15.... a roll.. note the singlur "roll"
And its worth every penny.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 12, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Jerod - the cloth is for older cars, your '69 would have been wrapped in vinyl. The wide roles were for under the dash harness and the narrower rolls are for under the hood.
Cloth is used on 1st Gens also. It wraps the dash to 1/4 panel harness as well as the rear tail lamp harness. It is very good at resisting chafing and general protection.

Non adheasive vinyl for all other areas is best. Show car or not, it's the easiest to apply and the easiest to access if ever fault finding or making adjustments.

AMK have all types including black masking which is also used to secure aux wires to existing looms or components.
Note the GM part numbers.
http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk2.asp...800&title=Tape

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 12, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech
Darrell

Garage

I just finished my restoration and used Russell Wrap-It to wrap my new Painless Performance harness in. I bought it from Summit and it is available in several widths. It is split and very easy to put your wires in and they will stay put. It is also easy to add or make changes. It is kind of pricey but worked great for me.

1968 Camaro, GM Performance ZZ4, TH350 W/Shift Kit, Sanderson Headers, MagnaFlow SS Exhaust, Vintage Air, Unisteer Rack, Dakota Digital, Ididit Column, Eaton Posi, 4 Wheel Disk Brakes, Custom Stripes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 12, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
alex

I agree with Dennis about not using electrical tape, but like anything else it depends on the quality of the product. If you use Scotch Super 33 or its equivalent in another brand you wont have a problem but the cheap overseas garbage that sells for 50 cents a roll is just that and you will have problems . The long and short YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR god stuff is always good stuff. Alex
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 12, 09:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsego View Post
I just finished my restoration and used Russell Wrap-It to wrap my new Painless Performance harness in. I bought it from Summit and it is available in several widths. It is split and very easy to put your wires in and they will stay put. It is also easy to add or make changes. It is kind of pricey but worked great for me.
X2,

This is what I use on wiring that can be seen and then heat shrink on the ends. You can also get it from McMaster Carr. Its cheaper and can be ordered by the foot.

I use the plastic split wrap on wires that are not seen to protect the wires and tape on the ends like the factory on newer cars.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Watch out for the plastic stuff..some brands can't handle the higher temps. in the engine bay & will melt if they come in contact with the intake manifold, valve covers, etc. Take a look at the Painless brand non-plastic wrap....it can handle higher temps & is self closing around wires.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
yep...
thu what most ppl call "electrical tape" these days is simple plastic BS with adhesive on it...crap....
rolls of it is good for throwing at birds eating the plums in the trees...
We use 3M 900V rated, proper electical tape... the stuff certified for the electical cables on 120m communication towers with the tops up in the snow line...
Its expensive about $NZ15.... a roll.. note the singlur "roll"
And its worth every penny.
Exactly, all electrical tape is not created equal.
We use the cheap crap (like 3m Temflex and lesser brands) for general use like making up wire pulls and short term uses, but for splices and anything that actually requires durabilty we use 3M Super 33 or 88, they are expensive but will hold up, to over 200* I recall. If your wire loom is over 200* it may need to be moved...
I used 3M Super 88 on my loom in places and it holds up great.
It's rated to 600v (I don't think they make 900v tape Steps) and is tough and stretchy.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode